Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Replacement engine ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:20 AM
rgray is on a distinguished road
Default Replacement engine ?

Where can I find a list of compatible engines for a 97 Jimmy Vin# series
1GKDT13W1V####### ? Where is a good place to look for Remanufactured engines or good used ones ?

I am located in British Columbia Canada

Richard

Old 08-15-2011, 10:41 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Google is your friend
Wrecking yards have built databases and are networked together at least in the us. They have compatibilty indexes and if you buy through their networks, they have no interest in selling you the wrong fit. And most verify fit by asking you the VIN when you actually place an order.

Same goes with remanufacturers. If they DONT ask you the VIN, then go elsewhere but any big remanufacturer will.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:48 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to use almost any 96 thru mid-02 4.3L v6 engine with very little, if any trouble. In mid-02, the knock sensor changed to a bolt on style and they also did away with the EGR system & improved the fuel system (MFI spider). The long block can still be used, but you would have to swap your lower intake manifold over (keep the MFI spider though) to retain the EGR system. If using a later block with a bolt on style knock sensor, you will have to drill & tap the bolt hole in the bell housing behind the driver side cylinder head to 1/4" NPT (pipe thread).

Also, the oil pan changed sometime over the course of the 96-98 range to the cast aluminum pan. If you don't already have the cast aluminum pan, you may have to swap the pans. If you have to do this, check the height of the oil pump pickup tube to make sure there are no differences. If there are differences in the height, swap the pickup tube or get a new oil pump for your year and swap that in.

Old 08-16-2011, 09:42 PM
aneill75 is on a distinguished road

Definately check the local wreckers. I just replaced the engine in my 96 (Threw a rod.....) with one from the wreckers. Picked up a 2001 with under 100K on it for CHEAP!! Sure, I could have pulled one at pick n pull for cheaper, but I got a warranty from the local guy and I didn't have to pull it myself!

They told me it wouldn't fit (wrong this, wrong that, DIFFERENT Bellhousing ) Drove back the next day with Blazer and they couldn't believe me until they looked at the paint markings

Spend some time on the phone, and you'll get a good feel for what the wreckers are asking. You'll hit that one shop that has a good one for cheap.

Good luck on your search.

Aaron

BTW, where abouts in BC are you??

Old 08-17-2011, 10:59 AM
rgray is on a distinguished road

Thanks I have been checking the wreckers. I have a line o a couple but would like a little lower mileage. Still looking?

I am located in Surrey.

I see you are in Vernon. You wouldn't happen to know anybody in merrit who could install the engine for me. The truck is there right now ?I will need to move it to town to get the engine installed unless I can find a reliable guy somewhere in the area?

Thanks
Richard

Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 PM
aneill75 is on a distinguished road

No, unfortunately I don't. Probably would end up being easier to grab a trailer and drag her home. At least yours is only a couple hours away. Mine was Calgary

A

Old 08-17-2011, 07:39 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

Picked mine up cheap in a yard down south, paid $525 with 6 month warranty, 2003 with 49k on it... all I had to do was swap manifolds and drill/tap knock sensor... all went in without any major problems.

Old 08-18-2011, 05:05 PM
65longroof is an unknown quantity at this point

Take a look on here Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market They list parts from junk yards all over the country including Canada and British Columbia