Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Replacing timing cover 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 11:39 AM
kgould67 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Replacing timing cover 4.3

Is it absolutely necessary to pull the engine in order to remove the oil pan? I am trying to replace the timing cover after I replaced the camshaft. Is there a trick to just removing the oil pan bolts and letting it drop? If not I guess I will have to remove the transmission in order to get the engine out, please let me know one way or another. This chevy is getting on my last nerve rather quickly. Thanks in advance for any help on this matter.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Replacing timing cover 4.3

Might help to know what you are working on... Year atleast.

Anyway, I think I know what you are dealing with. In '98, GM went to a cast aluminum oil pan and a 3 peice transmission case. The bellhousing on the transmission incorporated full perimeter fasterners which included fasteners into the aluminum engine oil pan. This created a much more rigid connection between the engine and transmission as well as adding structural rigidity to the engine block. As such, it is very difficult to unbolt the engine oil pan and move it out of the way.

With that said, you should be able to remove the bolts between the pan and the transmission bellhousing and loosen the bolts on the pan to drop it down enough to install the timing cover.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:47 PM
kgould67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry about that. It is a 1999 chevy blazer 4.3. How am I to get to the bolts within the bell housing? Will I need to drop the transmission for this?

Thanks-
Kyle Gould

Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

No, these bolts are around the perimeter of the bellhousing and are what mounts the bellhousing to the pan. They should be through the bellhousing from the back side, threading into the pan.