Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

resetting timing

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2015, 10:07 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Bumping the starter with the distributor out created another problem. You will need to turn the crankshaft manually, (clockwise only) with a socket & ratchet, until the timing mark on the dampener is lined up with the index mark on the timing cover. Then remove the distributor. Reinstall the distributor so the rotor segment points slightly to the passenger side of straight forward when the distributor is fully seated against the engine. Rotate the distributor so it is oriented like the image below, and snug the hold down bolt down. This image shows where the rotor needs to point, and where the plug wires need to be:

Name:  96older43Lfiringorder.jpg
Views: 4774
Size:  13.1 KB

The lower end of the distributor shaft has a "blade":

Name:  oilpumpdrive.jpg
Views: 4800
Size:  6.1 KB

and the oil pump drive, inside the engine, has a "slot":

Name:  Oilpumpdriveshaft.jpg
Views: 4967
Size:  4.1 KB

The blade must engage the slot as you're dropping the distributor in, so the distributor will fully seat against the engine. If the blade does not align with the slot, the distributor will not fully seat against the engine. If the slot does not line up, use a large flat blade screwdriver to adjust the slot where you need it.

With all this said: the crankshaft rotates 2 revolutions for each one revolution of the distributor rotor. What this means, is when you install the distributor, it might be 180 degrees off from where it needs to be. In other words, you have a 50/50 shot of getting it right on the first try. There is another procedure you can do to make sure you install it right the first try, but it is rather complex so I will explain an easier way, if necessary.

Remove the coil wire from the cap, crank the engine and watch for spark. (if there is no spark, let me know and we can diagnose that problem) If you have spark, plug the wire back in and attempt to start the engine: If it starts and runs, you got it on the first try. Get your timing light and adjust the timing.

If it backfires and refuses to start and run, remove the distributor cap so you can see the rotor. Manually rotate the crankshaft clockwise until the mark on the dampener lines up with the mark on the timing cover, AND the rotor is pointing toward the firewall. Remove the distributor and reinstall it so the rotor is pointing forward when the distributor is fully seated, and snug the hold down bolt. You might have to adjust the oil pump drive again to get the distributor to fully seat, just like you did the first time. Attempt to start the engine: If it starts and runs, you got it. Get your timing light and adjust the timing.

EDIT: When the pick up coil fails, there will be no spark or injector pulse. When the ignition module fails, there will be no spark, but the injectors will still pulse. The symptoms you described in post #10 are classic of a failing pick up coil.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-14-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:44 PM
Starting Member
hoebob69 is on a distinguished road

Thanks so much for your help. I believe that the pick up coil was the problem to. But like I said I could see the injectors spraying a nice cone and I had a spark from coil to distributer,and distributer to cylinder both times. How difficult is that process you just described by the way? The main issue I'm having is a lack of time to just dive in with no restrictions due to 2 kids,a wife,a full time job and well.....basically life. You've been more than helpful and I very much appreciate it.