Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rest In Pieces 4L60E

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 12:19 PM
BlazEnvoy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rest In Pieces 4L60E

so my transmission decided to take a **** on me friday night. Driving down the road, getting ready to pass a car up, I push on the gas and hear a clunk! I let off, and think "oh wow! wtf?" I get on the gas again and hear a louder CLU-CLUNK!!! The tranny downshifts to 3rd and I'm sitting at 3000 RPM's going 60MPH. Right then and there, I knew what happened.

I stop at a local car wash....there, I find I have no Reverse. I can go forward but only in 1st and 3rd gears so I decided to head back home and park it.

This is the stock tranny in the Blazer, which is coming up to 128K on the odometer. Apparently thats a good amount of miles on it....but it sucks either way.

I then proceeded to call my friend Diane up for a ride to the bar and take shots with a buddy of mine.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:31 PM
cliro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Rest In Pieces 4L60E

that sucks.

Old 03-18-2008, 12:35 PM

yeah, now im trying to find a replacement for a decent price

Old 03-18-2008, 12:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Lost your reaction sun shell. Not the total end of the world. A co-worker just recently went through this and if I remember right, it cost him like $500 to replace this part and the seals that were disturbed in the process. He didn't have the money for an all out rebuild. Shop told him that his clutches looked good still.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:53 PM

yeah I did some searching on the internet and found that same answer.

1st and 3rd only, no 2,4 or R; sunshell is fractured or splines are sheared off. R&R. Try not to run or drive the car or further damage could result.

I wonder if I can find a low mileage used for around that price.

Old 03-18-2008, 10:51 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, sun shell.
Get a Beast Sun Shell and never worry about it again.
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....nr2/212427.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....nr2/212428.jpg
http://chevytruckworld.tenmagazines....nr2/212429.jpg

I stripped out the teeth on mine. First pic is the sun shell.
2nd pic of the teeth.
3rd pic you can see where the teeth are missing.

I stripped mine out backing up mmy driveway.
Rebuilt the tranny for about $500. #350 in parts, $100 to a tranny pro to verify my work, and $50 in chemicals.

Old 03-19-2008, 12:30 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I hope I have some miles left on mine. After I bought it I noticed the tranny has been rebuild. The fluild is clear & clean. The dipstick isn't bolted back to the bellhousing. So I'm sure it has been out & rebuilt.

Old 03-19-2008, 02:49 AM
Beginning Member
4thgenssuck is an unknown quantity at this point

my sun shell went out last year at the movies.i put it in reverse to park and boom.i was pissed the whole movie.luckly i was able to limp it home.i took the tranny out my self and had it rebuild.it cost me $435..i put it back in and never had a problem still to this day..the sun shell is a weak link in the 4l60e's..

Old 03-19-2008, 12:56 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

What exactly does the sun shell do? And is there any method to driving/shifting gears to protect the sun shell? Throwing it into drive quickly, or giving throttle too soon after shifting gears for example? Then again those are pretty bad to do anyway[8D]

Edit: on further research I've found the sun shell is at most risk when shifting from reverse to drive? Would it be safer to shift slower...or not accelerate as quickly after this shift? Also it looks like there was a TSB released for the 4L60E in trailblazers/envoys/bravadas?

Old 03-19-2008, 01:46 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Don't pull things in reverse.

Quick Reply: Rest In Pieces 4L60E