Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Reverse doesn't work

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 03:03 PM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Reverse doesn't work

I have searched though some threads on here and am still confused about what is up with my transmission. I have a 97 4x4 with 176***miles on it, last night I went to the gas station and my truck was hard as hell to get out of park and reverse worked just fine and it shifted though the gears just fine as well. When I came out of the gas station, it was even harder to get out of park, but still got it out. I put it in reverse to back out and it would go forward, not reverse. By reading some threads, it sounds like it could either be the sun shell or the reverse clutch pack, not quite sure which it would be, or if it would be either of them. So I got out and pushed my truck backwards to drive away and lost all feeling in my hands from pushing on my sub 0 steel brush guard. When I drove away, it still shifted through the forward gears just fine, no hesitation or skipping of gears. When I got back to my destination, I tried to put it into park, but it would not go, it eventually went into park, but my keys wouldn't come out of my ignition. This morning I checked the fluid in my transmission, it was low but just a little low, so I went and got some more fluid to top it off. The fluid still looked clean before I topped it off. There was no metal shavings nor was it discolored. I took a look under my truck at the transmission and noticed that it was leaking some. Not enough to notice dripping, but I could tell that it had leaked a good amount from the trip from my girlfriend's house to mine, which was about a 4 mile trip. By the looks of it, the seal between the transmission and the pan is shot. Right now money is REALLY tight and I still need to purchase my books for school, so I'm hoping this isn't going to be too much to repair. Any help or insight would be much appreciated. Thank you very much.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:15 PM

Bumping this thread up because I REALLY need some input on my situation.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

We had that happen to the Bravada. The Sun gear disintegrated, and we had a tranny rebuild done on it.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:50 PM

How much did that cost?

Old 01-10-2010, 05:31 PM
cbr995 will become famous soon enoughcbr995 will become famous soon enough

We know a guy at a local GM dealership, and he did it for 1100. I think it's usually almost 2k for a rebuild done by a mechanic. When you do a sun gear, it is highly recommended that a whole tranny rebuild is done because just about EVERYTHING else has to be taken out to get to it.

Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM

Sweet. I'm pretty much family to one of my local junkyards, so they don't charge me as much. You have to love being able to get a dirt cheap tow. =]

Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

hey, while u are getting ur trans rebuilt, get a shift kit. i put one in when i had to replace my trans. what a difference in performance, nice firm shifts, fast shifts and kick downs, and most of all, it will help with the bigger tires. i paid $2500 (all of my summer money) to get it fixed and have a 12month warranty from mr. transmission.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:15 AM

What kind of shift kit did you get?

Old 01-11-2010, 09:37 AM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point

b&m stage 1 shift kit

Old 01-11-2010, 09:40 AM

I'll have to look into that

Quick Reply: Reverse doesn't work