Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Reverse Gone, just sun gear?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009 | 08:52 AM
|
Beginning Member
neurotox is on a distinguished road
Default Reverse Gone, just sun gear?

So I had my transmission rebuilt in 2006 due to a blown out torque converter and other things. I was about to start towing with it, so I had it at the shop just to get checked out because I was hearing a rattle/whine when going in reverse that just started yesterday. Well they called me this morning and said that reverse went while they were checking it out.

Sounds like the sun gear is probably gone then by the looks of the forum responses. Anyways, the guy is optimistic since it went right at the shop, that he can get the gear swapped out without a full rebuild. Hoping that since it was caught quick and the tranny fluid is very clean and fresh, the other gears might be ok. If he can, 900 for the sun gear swap, or 1800 for full rebuild.

So has anybody had any luck on the sun gear being replaced and nothing else? Or am I hoping for something that won't happen?

Old 04-27-2009 | 10:54 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You should be good for just the sun shell.

A friend at work had just the sun shell replaced in his higher mileage Bravada and that cured the problem and he has not had any issues with it since. Just make sure they install "the beast" sun shell.