Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Revs when in reverse when cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 12:00 AM
Beginning Member
msfan324 is on a distinguished road
Default Revs when in reverse when cold

During the summer when I would shift into reverse there would be a noticeable delay until the vehicle would actually start to move. This was without pressing the gas, if I did press the gas right away the engine would just rev and would not move the vehicle. Now that the weather has gotten colder (about 24 degrees) lately in the morning. I will shift into reverse and after letting the blazer run for several minutes I can barely back out of the driveway as the engine just revs. Once I have made it to work and I put it in reverse everything works as expected. Is this by any chance related to transmission fluid and filter that is badly in need of changing. I checked the fluid lately and it was very dark colored but I did not smell it. This is with an automatic transmission. Thanks

Old 12-03-2009, 12:44 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

it sounds like you're in line for a rebuild. i'd at the very least do a fluid/filter change-but it sounds like it's waaaaaay to late for that. this may buy you a little time til it stops completely, but it's pretty much toast.

if these symptoms were present in the Summer (were talking at least 3 months ago) why wouldn't you at least change the filter/fluid then?

and flush your cooler when you do any of this work (changing the filter or rebuilding the trans), 'cause alot of people don't bother, and all the crap from the trans blowing up inside will work it's way through the whole system-so flush the lines as well.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would definitely recommend you change the fluid first. Maybe toss in a bottle of Lucas TransFix. I am not normally one to recommend additives, but I have had TransFix cure some weird issues for me in the past.

My old '97 Ram didn't like to move first thing in the morning either. It was worse the colder out it got. In talking with a transmission rebuilder friend of mine, he said that it likely is a check valve that is hung up and is draining the torque converter over night. Dumped in the TransFix and within a week it was running normally again and still is. I still keep in touch with its current owner. I sold that truck with 98k on it and he now has over 200k on it.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:14 PM
Beginning Member
msfan324 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information about the additive at least it sounds like there is a little hope in at least changing the fluid and filter. It sounds vaguely like your issue as it definitely has been getting worse the colder it gets. As to why it didn't get changed sooner is that the summer kind of disappeared between remodeling a house and getting moved into it.

Old 12-03-2009, 09:51 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

hey man, s**t happens. as for the Lucas TransFix, it'll even stop some seal leaks. i've used their products before, and have never had any problems with any of them.

Old 12-04-2009, 10:36 AM
Beginning Member
moose09876 is on a distinguished road
Default Same Thing

I'm having the EXACT same problem, only i get a little bit of a shake at idle, but no grinding to speak of. I was watching some videos on youtube, and they talked about a PWM - TCC solenoid. Pulse With Modulation - Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid. This made me go hmmmmmmm. Any ideas on if that could be bad, e.g. moving slowly or sticking? Also, something called the lockup solenoid. Another idea was the transmission fluid pump. I have no idea where it is / if you can replace it, but I'm always willing to find out. LOL If you guys have any ideas, that would be great. I just don't know what these do.

msfan324, if you get it figured out, PLEASE send a reply. Its about to start snowing, and I'd REALLY like my winter vehicle to run right. LOL

THANKS!

Old 12-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Beginning Member
Default :(

Well, I just got back from the transmission shop. The main tech there called my transmission "tired". So I can A) don't worry about it B) get a new one C) have it rebuilt. Oh well.

Old 12-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like he's BS'ing you. Not saying that it couldn't be that, but without much more specific reasons for his assumption, I wouldn't take it to heart.

Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 PM
Beginning Member
Default Yup

I agree, and there's no way in hell I'd pay for them to do it. I'm going to try and install a shift kit with stronger springs and see if that does anything. It's supposed to help the lag between N, P and D, R. Feel free to tell me I'm wrong. This is what I was looking at.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4L60E...item2098e8268c