Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rich, smokey, crazy idle

Old 11-04-2012, 04:25 PM
redneckabbott is on a distinguished road
Default Rich, smokey, crazy idle

The vehicle is a 95 blazer with 255K miles and never had any engine work other than egr. It started idleing rough one day so I did a full tune up; plugs, wires, coil, and complete distributor. Didn't fix it so I did some researching and decided to pull the upper and check the fpr, it was pouring the gas out with the switch on! Replaced the fpr but it's still smoking, smells like gas, even has an oil smell, and will idle fine for the 1st few seconds and then almost stall but picks itself back up. I thought it was a vacuum issue but can't find any leaks. Any tips for a point in the right direction?

Old 11-04-2012, 04:57 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

When you changed the FPR did you change the oil after that as well? You need to do a leak down test on your truck as well.
When the FPR leaks, it dumps fuel into the oil, which is REALLY bad for your truck, I would definitely change your oil a couple times in the next month, to make sure all the fuel is out, especially with that bad of a leak
But, go to a parts store and rent a fuel pressure gauge and do a leak down test.
How to do that can be found with a simple search on the forum. Let us know your results. you could still have a leaky injector.

Old 11-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Beginning Member
tmnc78 is on a distinguished road

You could have one or more poppets sticking on your fuel spider. Its a pretty common issue.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:52 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

that as well, try to run an injector cleaner through your fuel system. But first, before you do that. change your oil. All that fuel in your oil is SO bad.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:04 PM
redneckabbott is on a distinguished road

Will do! Not sure how much I will do to it because I'll probably end up selling it regardless.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:37 PM
BF Veteran

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO DONT SELL IT But if you must.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:15 PM
Beginning Member

If the truck is in good shape other than this one miner problem why would you sell it? If you can replace the FPR you can replace a fuel spider, 200 dollars and no car payments. This was the first thing i did on mine and the motor runs great now.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:45 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Rich, The FPR is inside the intake so how can it leak into the oil?? Unless you have some other serious issue.. Or is this only the case for the CPI engines? Just curious.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:06 PM
Beginning Member

I think its unburnt fuel from the FPR leaking when its not running, before I changed my spider it would smell like gas and smoke like crazy for about ten minutes after starting it up for the first time each day.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:35 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Maybe leaking into the cylinder and pass the rings?? But again, if thats happening then you have other issues.

The FPR on my 01 blazer had been leaking like a sieve for a while before i bought it and there was no gas in the oil when i changed it.

Not saying youre wrong, just trying to figure out how lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rich, smokey, crazy idle