Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Right after getting gas, CEL Flashing, random misfire

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 03:50 PM
CPLSeraphim is on a distinguished road
Default Right after getting gas, CEL Flashing, random misfire

I have been running my blazer for a couple years now. I got gas the same place I always get gas on my way to work, and as soon as I pulled out, and gave it some gas, my Check Engine line started flashing, and remained flashing. When I got to work, it was showing random misfire. (using an OBD II Scan tool.) I erased code and drove it hope, and, as expected, continual flashing. It is parked now, but I don't get the random timing for this issue. It was kind of low (I put 13.XX gallons in) but I run her kind of low every time.

It's a 2000 Chevy Blazer 6 cyl Auto, LS. 4 door. Any ideas to be more specific than plugs wires, fuel additive, ignition coil (or equivelant). I am stuck driving a 2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee that, since my ownership, has never been inspected (just got her running good last year, but small issues still.)

thanks in advanced.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:14 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Dont believe getting gas has anything to do with it, just coincidence. first to check is for arcing. When dark outside start it up and look under the hood at the sparkplug wires for a lightning show, unhook underhood dome light will help. Spark from wire to ground. if seen you have a bad wire and would reccomend replacing them. Could also be a bad plug, rotor or cap. Those are the first things I would go through. If none of this helps we`ll try something different

Old 11-08-2016, 03:56 PM

Fair enough. It must have just been coincidence then, so I guess it will be part by part swap. That sucks. lol. I'll post a response once I figure it out (I hate open ended never resolved posts )

Old 11-18-2016, 08:05 PM

So, I finally had time, and the nice little swivel mount, to do plugs, and I did wires while I was at it. The old wires easily broke when removing, and 2 plugs broke (one being cylinder 2, the other that PITA behind the steering shaft.)

Anyway, took care of plugs and wires, and, well, my battery is shot. I started it last night just fine to move it over a parking spot, did my plugs and wires, and nothing. Voltage less than 1 V... Now to get a battery.

Old 11-18-2016, 09:12 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

So that fixed it. you just need a new battery
now

Old 11-19-2016, 08:20 AM

Yup. Need a new battery. I do have to say that I find it odd. I did a search on changing spark plugs, and afterwards the battery is dead. Seems awfully common to be coincidence, unless the cause for the random misfires has to do with the battery ****ting the bed, and just looking at first like the plugs or wires. That, at least to me, sounds more like why so many people are
changing plugs and wires to a dead battery.