Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rolled it on it's side wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 03:51 PM
charjac is on a distinguished road
Default Rolled it on it's side wont start

I have searched this forum and am stuck

I slid off the side of the road to avoid a head on and my 94 Bravada (I know this is a Blazer forum but I am HOPING for some help) GENTLY rolled over and into a creek. There was water up to the A/C vent on the passenger side with the truck on it's side. The water never hit the engine but the battery (RHS) was partially submerged. We pulled it over on to its wheels and out of the ditch. The truck ran great until the roll and now it wont start. It ran until I assume the oil pressure dropped. I let it dry out , all the fuses are OK, the electronic dash works and I replaced the Fuel pump relay.

The fuel pump will not prime with the key EVERY time but will some times. I ran a hot wire to the pump and it works. There is a lot of pressure at the valve at the back of the motor. It will fire up, then, backfire with starting fluid.

Can anyone make any suggestions. I am a decent wrench turner but have no GM experience. I am too broke to have it towed to a shop and the car is not worth a serious repair bill but it is my only vehicle so I am in a real bind.

Any suggestions appreciated

Charlie

Old 05-28-2009, 03:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Define "lots of pressure". Test the pressure with a fuel pressure test gauge. These motors need 60+psi of pressure to start properly.

How does it sound when you turn it over? How is the compression?

You may have done some pretty serious internal damage to the engine if it ran for very long while the truck was on its side...

Old 05-28-2009, 06:34 PM

Fuel pressure appears high. Pressing the valve will shoot and hit the hood hard. I have no transportation to get to autozone for a guage. It is 20+ miles away. It took me 5 hours to hitch hike for the relay. It ran for maybe 15-20 seconds on it's side. It cranks easily and quietly and I noticed no noise when I had it run on starting fluid.

THANKS!

Charlie

Old 05-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

Have you taken all the spark plugs out and tried cranking the engine over to blow out all the oil that still in the top end?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:43 AM

No, but I will this morning

THANKS!

Old 05-30-2009, 04:46 AM

The computer got wet --- and I got lucky poured out the water, blew it out and it fired up!!

Thanks to all

Charlie