Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 12:27 PM
Starting Member
JTalley is on a distinguished road
Default Rough idle

I've been having terrible fuel mileage, loss of power, etc. I got a bottle of that all-in-one fuel treatment, and soon after, I got LOTS of power, but the mileage is only somewhat better. I've already used most of the tank, and I'm down to less than a quarter tank(my gauge is kinda screwy). I was sitting at a red light earlier, and it was running funny. It ran pretty steady, but every 5 seconds it would shudder for a split second and then pick back up immediately. As I pulled out, I pressed the gas, and it hesitated for a minute before lurching forward. After that, I had no trouble, but the idle was a bit weird. My first thought was that it was running out, but a quick check of the gauge said I wasn't. My second thought was the spark plugs, but before I get new ones I want to exhaust all other possibilities as spark plug prices are OUTRAGEOUS here. What else could it be? Also, if I put another bottle of the fuel treatment in there, would that help or hurt it?

Old 12-06-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Fuel treatment should not hurt anything. I advocate using a bottle every time you change your oil to keep the fuel system healthy and clean. You shouldn't expect stellar performance/efficiency when you have a cleaner in though, especially if you put it in there to get things cleaned back out.

I would recommend a seafoam treatment (run a search). After you get done fumigating the neighborhood, change the plugs and the oil.

Old 12-07-2010, 12:22 AM
Starting Member

So you think it's just the cleaner then? I was worried because I had a friend of mine look at it, and he thinks the timing is off. I was hoping it wasn't since I don't know much about stuff like that. Also, where do I get cheap plugs for it? Like I said, they cost an arm and a leg here. Is there a shop online that has them?

Also, I figured up my mileage. I was getting 13 mpg, I got 11 with the cleaner. It does seem to have much more power, but it's using more gas, too.

Last edited by swartlkk; 12-07-2010 at 12:38 AM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:04 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It's possible it is from the cleaner.

Old 12-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Starting Member

I put more gas in it, and checked the oil. It was a little low, so I put some more in there, and it still seems to be running funny.

Old 12-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Beginning Member
wade505 is on a distinguished road

J,

I just bought a '92 with the same engine and TBI as yours. The vehicle was mostly parked for over a year. The PO's dad would start it once a week and drive it up and back in the driveway. Now I've been fighting vac leaks, fuel problems and such since I got it. A new fuel filter, A couple of gaskets on the TBI to remove some air leaks there, and lots of new vac lines have helped. But I'm getting 14 MPG and most of that is at a steady 65mph to and from work. Fuel treatment has done little in the way of cleaning out all the stuff, but I know what you're going through with the funky idle and stumbling business. Got it too, and working on it one step at a time.

Getting the vac leaks down really helped in the engine's power and running in general. As time and money permit, the plugs and plug wires are next. The PO said he had the vehicle since '02 and thinks he has never had them replaced. The PO was NOT mechanically inclined....just put gas in it and had the oil changed fairly often...

In your case, keep looking for leaks in the vacuum lines and of course, a change of plugs will help. I'm waiting for next pay day to get new plug wires, the plugs are already in my shop waiting...

Good luck with your Blazer! Sounds like we're both working on similar stuff on similar vehicles..

Wade

Old 12-10-2010, 09:19 AM
Starting Member

It seems to be getting worse, and I can sometimes hear a faint ticking... How much does it normally cost to get the timing checked, anyway?

Old 12-13-2010, 03:10 PM
Beginning Member

It that ticking mechanical from the engine or arcing from electrical? I ask that as I have a hearing problem and sometimes an arching plugwire can sound similar to ticking unless I get real close to the source. I assume that it is heard while in idle? If so you should be able to isolate it and get a better idea on what it is.

Getting timing checked should be a minor cost from most shops. Some might even hook up to your engine for free, but be ready to shell out for an "adjustment" if they think they can get a fast buck or two if they run a shop that is less that honest. You can always get a timing light from a parts store, or find one at a pawn shop sometimes. I've had mine from the old days, and used it a bunch on a really cherry '73 Mercury Montego with a 351C. That baby was tricked out and had a Mallory Dual point mechanical distributor and timing was real tight with that old gal....

Good luck on your work on your ride....

Wade

Old 12-14-2010, 06:06 AM
Starting Member

I got down next to it, and the ticking seems to be coming from near the transmission. It somewhat sounds like it might be the muffler, but I'm not sure. I also went to a shop, and they said just hooking it up to check it would cost $25, and it might take until Monday. That was Friday. I certainly didn't leave my car there, and I'm not paying $25 for something like that.

Old 12-15-2010, 09:31 AM
Beginning Member

Understand the shop thing! If I remember correctly the '91 has an ALDL terminal like the '92. The ALDL is located under the dash near the fuse panel or just to the right of the steering area. You can use a jumper wire from the upper right terminal (ground) to the one just to the left of it (Diagnostic) and with the engine not running, do the following:

Start the enging and let it run a bit. Shut it down and place your jumper wire in the far upper right slot in the ALDL and run it to the slot just to the left of the 1st one. Then turn your key to the run position (DO NOT START THE ENGINE) and the Service Engine light will start flashing. It will start by giving a code 12 , 1 flash, a pause, and two short flashes. This is normal. What follows will be anything that the ECM has stored in memory. You can access these codes here on the forum or shoot me a message and I'll look it up for you in my old books....

Hope that helps you. I know that I sure use this method to check out stuff on mine and my son's Tracker.

Wade

Quick Reply: Rough idle