Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Running with all 6 then I whoa

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Beginning Member
RedWasp is on a distinguished road

Ok guys, I'm back with an update. The Wasp is running better thanks to Chevron gas and keeping it full. I need to replace the tank. Too much trouble to fully clean with my work schedule. I couldn't find the quick disconnect for the fuel filter but engine side I had 55 psi for the on/off position after 4 turns and it dropped to 50 psi after 2 minutes. After a full 10 minutes it dropped to 42 psi (including first 2 minutes). Because I like to wrench I pulled the throttle body and found much of the upper intake manifold washed out and the injectors looked wet around the ports to the cylinders. Looks like they've already been replaced with the aftermarket upgrade (going by stock look vs the gray sleeves on the aftermarket injectors). The unit looks new besides the plug ins to the cylinders. I just want to confirm that after 4 years of sitting the seals have corroded and it begins to flood the intake manifold which triggers the computer to a rich condition and pulls fuel away. I haven't had time to open the plenum but if all my lines are good can I just replace the seals? I'll be checking the fuel pressure regulator when I do this job as well. Thanks in advance

Old 08-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Just to clarify: When checking pressure and leakdown at the fuel filter outlet, all fuel pressure and flow must end at the pressure tester with no fuel allowed to the engine, (see post #6). If that's how you tested it, your pump pressure of 55psi roughly half of what it needs to be, and leakdown to 42psi is excessive, indicating a problem in the tank.

Old 08-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Beginning Member
RedWasp is on a distinguished road

I was able to track down the fuel filter adapter Friday so I could test it at the filter and it read around 95 psi. I couldn't get a proper leak down because of a leak in the test kit (no shrader valve fitting so I used fuel line and 2 other adapters to get around that snag). One of the adapters wouldn't allow fuel to get to the gauge unless it was a little loose but then it would leak fuel until pressure dropped to 72 psi then hold steady. The 55 psi - 42 psi leak down came from the engine side at the test port behind the plenum. And today my problem returned but it stalled and after I restarted it rpms jumped to 2800. I put it in drive and I felt the motor trying to pull the truck forward while I was on the brakes (it's fought the brakes before wanting to accelerate in drive). I put it in park and the rpms rose back to 2800 for another 15-20 seconds and then returned to regular idle. So it ran high rpms for about 30 seconds total. I was at the gas station wanting to fill up anyway (because of my dirty tank) and after the fill up the problem went away. It still idled a little high at 1k vs her normal 600 rpm.

Last edited by RedWasp; 08-10-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: Typo