Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Scary problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 07:58 PM
OKBlazer01 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Scary problem

My wife was driving her Blazer today when her throttle suddenly stuck wide open, causing her to eventually get in an accident. She drives (well, drove) a 2001 Blazer with 4WD. Anybody ever hear of something like this happening? It was a very traumatic experience for her, especially as she had 3 children in the back seat at the time.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:09 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I've heard of a cruise control malfuntioning and doing that, but it wasn't on a blazer. Is everyone ok?

Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

ouch hope every 1 was ok

its possible the throttle cable froze

or like thogert said the cruise control

I never liked it and mine never worked so i disconnected mine

Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM
Starting Member
trucktom is on a distinguished road

maybe throtle retun spring broke? i had a neon do this tps fell aprt inside and jammed

Old 12-10-2011, 02:17 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

well i doubt the cable froze if it got stuck in WOT cuz that would mean she would have to be flooring it (which i suppose is possible). But im gonna agree with the cruise control idea. But im not sure how this would happen. maybe if she had the cruise control on and a vac line fell off causing the engine to think it needed more power (i think thats how cruise control works anyways) but im not sure if a vacuum line coming off wile in cruise control would cause this.

Old 12-10-2011, 12:00 PM
Starting Member
Blazeredtodeath is on a distinguished road

My truck stayed at WOT when the vacuum line that goes from the upper plenum to the brake booster popped out of the plenum. That was scary. I hope everyone was/is alright.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:04 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

happened to my 93 when i first got it. i was offroad at the time, had it in 4low and punched it througha mud hole. if you try to fight 4low with your muddy brakes its a losing fight. it slowed it down but i still hit a tree going like 3-4mph lol. i checked over everything and just lubed and oiled everything. best bet is to throttle the heck out of it with the truck off and look athe cable under the hood. see if its hanging up or anything is broken.

also had it happen years ago in a stick shift 83. my own fault i was messing the vacuum lines and air cleaner and when i gave it gas a vacuum T got caught in the carb linkage and got stuck

Old 12-10-2011, 03:20 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Good she' and the kids are okay!!

As to vacuum line coming loose then Cruise causing it, I dont think so. Cruise uses vacuum to pull the cable to throttle so, no vac, no pull.

Cable 'Hang', that's something else.
Dont guess you'll be troubleshooting it, tho.. if it was my wife she'd never drive it again so you might's well hope it's totalled.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Old Skool Soldier is on a distinguished road

What about a simple "Pedal stuck on floor mat"?

Old 12-11-2011, 12:07 AM
David Hineline is an unknown quantity at this point

Suggest to her that the engine has an off switch and the engine in a blazer is not more powerful than the brakes. No way she could not stop if she pressed the correct pedal.

Quick Reply: Scary problem