Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Seafoam??

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:29 PM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Seafoam??

Ok I changed the oil today in my truck...well i figure i would add a additive so i figure seafoam since i heard alot of good things..well i put a pint in the crankcasae..and i read that people get symptoms of there truck smokin like crazy and runnin like **** for 5 or 10 minutes..well when i did it none of that happend...Is that a good thing or bad thing?[/align]

Old 01-09-2007, 07:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Seafoam??

When put into the crankcase, it cleans all of the builtup gunk in your engine where the oil goes. You'll want to run the truck for approximately 100 miles, then change the oil and filter again.

To get the smoke show, you have to dribble it down the throttle body while the truck is running. Dribble 2/3rds of the can down the TB, then dump the last 1/3 in and let it stall. Let sit for 20-30 minutes, then drive it like you stole it. Do this before you change the oil cause it is recommended to change the oil after you do an upper intake cleaning with seafoam. You'll also want to atleast check your sparkplugs to make sure they aren't fouled.

Any more questions, just ask!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 PM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I dont put Seafoam in the TB or through the vacuum hose.
It gets burnt off and tells the O2 sensor it's lean andthen the PCM dumps more fuel. = dumb smoke show. It fouls the plugs as stated above, wastes fuel, and dirtys up the O2 sensor.
They won't tell you that on Seafoams web page cause it would be a deterent to use their product.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:48 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

^^ Thats a strong statement, I wonder if anyone has facts to prove otherwise?

Old 01-09-2007, 11:59 PM
rooster is an unknown quantity at this point

i have had nothing but success with seafoam, andfor me the "smoke show" was black and filled with carbon deposits, it left a trail of carbon on my driveway as well. i even changed my o2 sensor about a month or two before due tocode 44 and i still have good mileage and no codes for months. my plugs did slightly grab some deposits but were easily cleaned. which i did the day after the seafoam.

it defintely smooths out the engine, and shows u while its working.
but everyone likes different things, i used to use z-max.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:07 AM
Chevyguy032 is an unknown quantity at this point

should i have the motor on while dumping the can in the TB or should i wait to dump it in then start it??

Old 01-10-2007, 12:38 AM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

As stated above, you dribble it in with your hand on the throttle control making sure it doesn't stall by revving up the engine slightly. Then when about 2/3 of the bottle is gone, just pour it in so it stalls. If it doesn't stall you can simply just turn it off and let it sit. Then start it up(may take a couple seconds) and drive the hell out of it around the block or until the smoke is gone.

Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 AM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been thinking about doing this to my truck. I've got a buddy in the autoparts biz. His store sells Seafoam. I asked him what his thoughts on it were.

What he said was that it sure enuf gets a lot of crap out of your engine........but it will build carbon back in so quickly that it's not really worth the time or effort to do.

Whaddya think?

Old 01-10-2007, 02:20 AM
4lowlife is on a distinguished road

I have no scientific evidence to present.

Just my thoughts. example: When you see these guys with their diesl pickups tuned to the max, doing brake stands, pouring black smoke out the tailpipe, it is unburnt fuel.

exapmple: My old '79 Caprice w/ a 3052 barrel carb had problems where it ran way too rich in the morning startup, It would smoke the garage out like someone poured seafoam in the carb.

I believe the smoke show you see is the unburnt seafoam clouding/confusing the O2 sensor and telling it to add more fuel. Just look at the plugs when your done.

Keep adding seafoam and you'll have ash buildup on the electrode and insulator. Well, you would need ridiculously lots of it.

Old 01-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

An O2 sensor does not sense fuel. As such, it will not be confused by seafoam. I cannot say that it is impossible to ruin an O2 sensor with seafoam simply because the carbon that is being removed from your system could find its way into the sensor. Crap happens and sometimes an O2 sensor may be affected. Heck, O2 sensors are on the list of tune-up items now for practically any vehicle.

Seeing as how seafoam is combustable (just not to the same extent as gasoline), it burns in the combustion chamber just like gasoline. The reason for the chugging and tendancy to try to stall out is because you are flooding the engine by pouring in more 'fuel' without adding more air.

Regardless of what top engine cleaner you use, they all work on the same premise. I feel that the reason for needing a top engine clean is solely placed on the use of an EGR valve. The intake in my Chevelle is very clean, but it is also a wet intake (carb'd). Now, practically every vehicle has an EGR valve that is recirculating spent exhaust gases. How long will it take to build back up, that will depend on the operating conditions (climate, fuel used, etc) under which that engine goes through. Will it build back up, sure. Will it be over the course of a month, highly unlikely. 6 months, still not likely. 1 year, possibly. Does a top engine cleaning make a difference? In my opinion and experiences, definitely YES. But then again, this was on vehicles that were noticably carboned up (bore scopes are cool!).

Quick Reply: Seafoam??