Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Serious Issue Need Help ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member
Emsblazer72 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Serious Issue Need Help ASAP

Ok, so I recently have been noticing imo a serious problem wit my blazer. It started approx. 3 weeks ago. I was driving my blazer around town and it had an unusually deep sound when I would accelerate. Then maybe 3-4 days later I noticed that when I went to accelerate that the deep sound was still there and now my car seemed like it would take a second for it to accelerate and then accelerated fine after that.
(This would happen every time I would accelerate not one time when I start my car, every time I would accelerate)
Now the other day I was driving upstate NY and I was driving on a highway. I was going approx. 70 m.p.h. when I approached a mt. of a hill that was approx. 2 miles long. So I am going 70 and started up this hill when my car is decelerating going up this hill/mt. so finally my car stopped decelerating at 45 m.p.h. Of course there was the "deep sound" while this was going on. Now going up this massive hill I had put my foot to the floor and the R.P.M. went all the way up and the engine was just about screaming when I stopped because it was not going any faster still. The temp also raised up a bit to in the engine compartment. Now every since then, Flat, Hill, Mt. whenever my car accelerates it has the deep noise, almost "stalls out" every single time I go to accelerate, the temp would rise, and a strange rattling noise from under the hood. I have since stopped using my blazer because of this issue. sorry about the long post but Please help me!!!!!

Recent work done on Blazer:
New Heater Core
New Fuel Pump
New Shocks
New rotors, calipers, brake pads
New Spark Plugs
Thank you everyone!!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:55 PM
50lb_cat will become famous soon enough

Any codes? Almost sounds transmission related.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:12 PM
JBRoc02Blazer is on a distinguished road

I agree, its most likely your tranny slipping . . . If you baby the gas/petal does it accelerate, but when you floor it the motor screams, rpm's go up but it does not accelerate ? If so your transmission is starting to slip ! You made the right call by not continuing to drive it, if you did it would steadily get worse until it stopped accelerating all together. Sorry to hear the bad news man !

Old 07-10-2013, 04:29 PM
Beginning Member

I would assume there are codes, I forgot to mention the check engine light came on then went off about an hr. later. Then it came back on, on the way home for about 30 minutes then went away. I do have a friend coming over wit the code reader today.

As for the question about babying the gas pedal, yes that does happen it would accelerate a lot better. RPM'S do go up but it will not accelerate, and they have been running high, like going up to about 4,000-4,500 before shifting and hen it does the car sometimes has a slight jerk to it.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:33 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

remove the oxygen sensor in front of the cat and drive it. If it greatly improves you have a plugged up cat.

Old 07-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Beginning Member

Just got back inside from checking codes in my car. I have 2 that popped up. P0101 which according to online searches is the Mass Air Flow sensor and P0404. I was reading somewhere a guy had to clean his MAF Sensor, Clean the EGR Valve, and New Cat Converter which fixed the problem. Does this sound right to anyone else? If so how hard would this work be to do??

Old 07-11-2013, 08:02 AM
ckroll98 is on a distinguished road

I had the same issue yesterday with the same code. Bought a can of MAFS cleaner at O'Reilly, removed the air box cover, removed the MAFS and sprayed the hell out of it. Make sure not to touch the tiny little wires in the MAFS. Engine must be hot when you spray it. Make sure you let it dry overnight before driving again. Improved my truck's acceleration immediately. Cheap $8 over buying the $90 MAFS. Give it a shot.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:18 PM
Beginning Member

So I cleaned the MAFS and EGR valve with no luck. And now my truck is doing a jerking motion right on 2000 rpm. Ughhhhh

Old 07-16-2013, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

sounds like burnt clutch packs in the tranny, is the tranny fluid dark and smell burnt?

Old 07-16-2013, 08:01 PM
Beginning Member

No, tranny fluid is actually pretty clear, barely has a color to it, which kind of makes me concerned. Does not smell burnt either. I'm thinking about taking it to a shop at this point. However I really hope it is nothing expensive because my girlfriend and I are expecting our first child soon.

Quick Reply: Serious Issue Need Help ASAP