Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   sevice engine soon light!!!! (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/sevice-engine-soon-light-23043/)

Duntov 09-06-2008 07:07 AM

RE: sevice engine soon light!!!!

BLACK DEATH

Get a handy little OBD 1 GM Code Reader and go by the instruction booklet that is included with it.I bought mine at Amazon but I have only used it twice.They cost about $25 and it plugs into to your OBD 1 port below the steering collum. Just like the paper-clip method, the GM Code Readergrounds theappropriate terminal connectionsand starts the SES light flashing. At first, the SES lightwill give you one flash, a pause and two flashes which is Code 12,meaning it is receiving data. It will repeat Code 12 three times. Then comes the trouble codes. The SES lightwill flash the trouble codesthree times also, if the ECM has any trouble codes stored and apparently yours does..

If I was a bettin' man, I would place my money on the infamous OBD-1 Code 32 (three flashes - pause - two flashes) repeated three times. That means theintake manifold EGR passages are stopped up with carbonwhich causes theEGR valve to malfunction. Replacing the EGR valve may or may notsolve that problem.Most S/T-10 Blazers with more than 100,000 miles on the clock have that problem. You canignore OBD-1 Code 32 if you wish because the SES lightwill go away when you turn off the igniton switch for 10 seconds or more. However,the code or codesare stored in the ECM until the ignition switch is turned off a few times and then they are erased. Some expertssay 50 times but I have never went back to check for Code 32 after mySES light quit coming on. My blazer has never thrown any other coes except Code 32.

The common OBD-1 Code 32 SES light comes on after yu drive at a 60 or 70MPH for three or four miles. That is caused by carbon build up in theEGR passages in the intake manifold. I cleaned mineout by getting on the open road (or freewway) and driving at high speeds (at least above 80 MPH)for five or tenmiles. I repeated the high speed procedurefive times and have not seen a SES since. TheSES light will eventually quitcoming on after you drive a high speedbecause you will "blow thecarbon out" as they say, which will allow the EGR valve to functionproperly and it will stop sending malfunction signals to the ECM. Driving a low speeds to work and back every day for a extended periods of timecausesthe carbon in the EGR passages tobuild up.

Start usingNAPA or Wal-Mart "High Milage" motor oil, that helps reduce carbon build up after a few oil changes. Don't worry about usinggeneric type oil, because all of itis made by the major oil companies and marketed under store brands. It should haveAPI codes SJ, SH . I use NAPAHigh Milage 10W-40 motor oil which isidentical to Valvoline MaxLife motor oil. I drive my Blazerat high speedoccasionally just to blow out the carbon andthe "black smoke out the exhaust pipe"problem has beennearly eliminated.

swartlkk 09-06-2008 08:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Blazin_1t_up

obd1.....so its gonna be hard.....
All depends, try the paper clip trick between pins A & B (refer to illustration from Troublecodes.net). If it does not work or you do not have both A & B in the DLC, then you possibly have the OBD1.5 PCM which is a royal pain to read codes from. OBD2 scanners for the most part do not work and neither do OBD1 scanners.

Blazin_1t_up 09-07-2008 12:04 AM

i man i do use highmileage and i just changed the egr valve abt to months ago