Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

are shift kits hard to install for a newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road
Default are shift kits hard to install for a newbie?

I've read some good things about shift kits.... so looking at one for my S10 Blazer.

Even though I'm just getting into doing my own maintenance, I am capable of doing minor things, such as brakes, rebuilding wheel cylinders (years ago rebuilt my own alternator on an old toyota), basic tuneup and things of that nature. I've never tore into an engine or transmission.

I understand that the shift kit can be installed with the trans still installed and apparently you get to it after you remove the pan.

So, I know it's a relative question, but in generalities... is a shift kit something a moderately mechanically inclined person could do?

Are there any special tools needed other than appropriate sockets?

Old 11-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is one place where you can definitely do more harm than good. There is a lot that can go wrong when installing a shift kit.

If you think you are up to it, then I would suggest you do a lot of reading up on the work required. There are many 4L60E shift kit install threads available online. A google search would reveal them.