Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

somehting wrong, Transfer Case?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2008, 12:42 AM
Beginning Member
B chevy99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default somehting wrong, Transfer Case?

I own a 1999 Chevy Blazer LS 4x4, and i recently experienced an issue involving my front wheel drive. I have the settings " 2HI 4HI 4LO and AUTO 4WD " I was driving in auto, turned a corner and all of sudden my front tires started to lock up. I can drive only in 2HI anything involving my front tires being drive tires, they start locking up and making grinding noises. would this be an issue with my transer case? or maybe a bad solenoid?

Old 12-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Beginning Member
Default RE: somehting wrong, Transfer Case?

does anyone know why my front tires are locking up when i'm in 4HI but not 2HI? It also ,makes a bit of a grinding sound, but as the driver you can really feel your front tires fighting to not go forward.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Beginning Member
Doverman454 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm having the same issue but only happens when I do the slightest turns I took a look under it today and notice there was greese thrown everywhere no clue why.

Old 12-24-2008, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member

When it first happened i checked underneath and saw greese everywhere aswell, i figured it was cause i just recently did all my greese fittings.

Old 12-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It sounds like while in Auto, it has the transfer case constantly locked in instead of varying the apply pressure on the clutch. This could be a problem with the clutch or it could be a problem with the encoder motor. The most difficult thing here is that it is very complicated to check either. One thing you can do is change out the transfer case fluid. You need to use Autotrak 2 fluid available from the dealer only (2qts).

Where was this grease you speak of?

Old 12-24-2008, 11:20 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Sounds like they pushed it a little too hard when the front axle was binding up....my guess is its CV grease.

Cant think of anything else that would get 'everywhere'.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:40 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

But is it the front drive shaft (which also has a CV style joint) or at the half shaft?

Old 12-25-2008, 11:28 AM
Beginning Member
Doverman454 is an unknown quantity at this point

Its CV grease I'm thinking its my boots because its coming out both ends passenger and drivers and just recently my 4wd got fixed its been out basically 3-4 years because vacume hose was unhooked.

Old 12-25-2008, 11:31 AM
Administrator

Ok, well, you will need to address that then as well. As wolf has already stated, hopefully you have not damaged the CV while the drivetrain was binding.

Old 12-25-2008, 09:14 PM
Beginning Member

I'm pretty sure it is CV greese, but i shouldnt have damaged anything, once my tires were locking up i stopped my truck right away to find out what was up. I'll take a look 2morrow and see whats goin on under there and hopefully its nothing too major.

Quick Reply: somehting wrong, Transfer Case?