Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Something I could do myself? - Need help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 07:01 PM
Danu2425 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Something I could do myself? - Need help!

So I was going to sell my truck but now my dad is thinking about just fixing it. I was quoted almost $700 to fix it.

Here is what it says on the paper from where I got my quote.

Replace intake maifold gasket (93$)
Intake bolt set ($46)
Fuel injector seal kit ($24)
Intake maifold gasket set (155$)

Now I have called around to a couple parts shops and found these MUCH cheaper. (For example the last part listed I found from $30-70) My dad said he's willing to take the time to fix the truck (I really don't think he wants me selling it)

I'm still at a toss up but listing these parts i'm wondering if this is something that if we took the time could do ourselves?

What would be involved?

Any help and info would be nice!

Old 07-10-2013, 07:13 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

? What do you have? year make model??

Old 07-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Danu2425 is on a distinguished road

97 Chevy blazer ls

Old 07-10-2013, 07:30 PM

Done it on 2 97's my self its do able depending on you and your dads Skill level . The tricky part is putting the distributor back in correctly as there is no adjustment like older cars. Seeing as you are on this sight do a search on any problems or questions you run into we will help. I don't remember needing New intake bolts. Just get a the gasket set for the intake felpro is preferred, and make sure it has both upper and lower the full set.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:36 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

+1 to 4x4.

If you decide to backout and have a shop do it,Dont provide any parts as they can decline warranty. I learned this myself the hard way. Its better to pay a small markup then pay for labor again.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by chris015
+1 to 4x4.

If you decide to backout and have a shop do it,Dont provide any parts as they can decline warranty. I learned this myself the hard way. Its better to pay a small markup then pay for labor again.
That's true but you can ask if you can have all your original parts back they replaced or said they did one way to try to keep them honest.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:06 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

Setting the distributor isnt too hard, the biggest thing to worry about is keeping everything clean and debris out of the engine when you open up the lower intake. Ive seen a lot of seized engine stories on here due to a plugged oil pump after doing the LIM, even happened to my neighbors 98 blazer. Its easy to avoid that tho, just be careful and keep it clean!

Old 07-11-2013, 07:15 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by 4X4GS10B
Done it on 2 97's my self its do able depending on you and your dads Skill level . The tricky part is putting the distributor back in correctly as there is no adjustment like older cars. Seeing as you are on this sight do a search on any problems or questions you run into we will help. I don't remember needing New intake bolts. Just get a the gasket set for the intake felpro is preferred, and make sure it has both upper and lower the full set.
a little trick to help you with that is take the cap off the distributor then keep barely cranking the engine til the rotor is facing towards the firewall, then just take a marker and mark exactly where its at. even if you do put the distributor in a tooth off the truck should throw a check engine light instantly to let you know it is.

i did my first one on a 98 in my garage with hand tools, took about 8 hours really taking my time. at work i can knock them out in only a few hours cause ive done so many of them by now. but first time i wanted to make sure i did everything perfect

Old 07-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Starting Member
JavierEscalonJr is on a distinguished road

if i remember there is a video on youtube that showed me how to do it when i did it to mine, and be careful with coolant getting to the oil good luck

Old 07-13-2013, 09:47 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

It's probably a good idea to change the oil afterward, also, in case coolant were to have gotten mixed in the oil. Coolant can be very damaging to your bearings.

Quick Reply: Something I could do myself? - Need help!