Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

spark plug change on the 4.3,how diffuclt we talkin?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2010, 03:27 AM
Starting Member
97Bravada is on a distinguished road
Default spark plug change on the 4.3,how diffuclt we talkin?

lately i have been noticeing a skip as i drive every so often,and my dad suggested that it might be the spark plugs need to be changed..well thats the one thing i havent done on the truck so ik it hasnt been done in a while(4-5yrs id say) so i figure id try it..even if its not the cause of my hesitaion at least ill have fresh plugs in it and my mpgs might increase so how difficult are we talkin in terms of process here,ik this is prolly a stupid question..eh oh well lol

Old 01-12-2010, 03:34 AM
GMJimmy is on a distinguished road

I can't speak from experience because I'm too afraid to tackle it myself, but between the 3 Blazers and Jimmys in our family, we've only had the dealer do them. Apparently, the fifth plug is a total PITA to get to. The stop we took ours to needed a special tool to get it in there, but I've heard of my friends having to partially take out steering columns or a tire off to get to it.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:15 PM
ChrisC is on a distinguished road

Its not that bad. LT1 F-bodys are alot harded! And you can always back off the 11mm bolt on the end of the steering shaft, then pry the steering shaft back towards the firewall and sideways away from engine to make the 3rd plug a piece of cake. 5th plug is easy to get to.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

Dont forget you can get to all plugs through the fender wells just move the plastic out of the way.

I second just removing the 11mm steering shaft bolt.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Beginning Member
juddkennedy is on a distinguished road

1 hour tops, ChrisC is right on the steering shaft. Make sure they screw in easy, do not force them, dont strip out the plug hole.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Man, I don't see what the big deal everyone makes out about the plugs on this engine. I've owned a couple and changed the plugs several times and you just have to have a long extension, maybe a wobbly for the socket and go in through the wheel well on the left side (turn your wheels to the right first). That's what the little flap in the wheel well is split for. I've heard of guys actually disconnecting the steering! There are a lot tougher jobs on this vehicle than a spark plug change believe me. Oil filter hose change, power steering pump change, etc. come to mind. I just got done replacing the plugs on my 94 4X4 4 door. Piece of cake.

Old 01-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Beginning Member
reytx1 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
Man, I don't see what the big deal everyone makes out about the plugs on this engine. I've owned a couple and changed the plugs several times and you just have to have a long extension, maybe a wobbly for the socket and go in through the wheel well on the left side (turn your wheels to the right first). That's what the little flap in the wheel well is split for. I've heard of guys actually disconnecting the steering! There are a lot tougher jobs on this vehicle than a spark plug change believe me. Oil filter hose change, power steering pump change, etc. come to mind. I just got done replacing the plugs on my 94 4X4 4 door. Piece of cake.

same here I never found it that hard to change the spark plugs. All i did was cut the wheels all the way to the left or right. It usually takes me like 45 min to do it.

Last edited by reytx1; 01-12-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:19 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

if you have a set of sockets, a few extensions, and one flexable knuckle, you can do it easily.

The first vehicle i have ever changed the plugs on myself is my blazer (i have since done 2 others). I did it the hard way (lift front remove tires) but could have easily just cranked my tires to one side then the other and got it done. too me longer to figure out the GD wire harness clips than it did to do #3 and #5 which are both sitll a bit of a hassle, but no where near the PITA those stupid harness clips were

you can do it. just give yourself a 2 hour window, be patient, and you should find yourself with at least a half hour let over in which to pat yourself on the back.

it will be faster each time after that too

Old 01-12-2010, 06:24 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Do they sell a kit for this anywhere? I know I saaw one in jegs, but havent been able to find one lately... I have a feeling I will need to change mine soon as it gets a little warmer....

Old 01-12-2010, 07:26 PM
Beginning Member
moldeck is on a distinguished road

Like everyone said. Long extention, wobble end or knuckel through the wheel well and you are good to go. It is way more difficult to get the clips on the wires than to change the spark plugs..LOL

Quick Reply: spark plug change on the 4.3,how diffuclt we talkin?