Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Stalling and won't restart while hot

Old 04-23-2009, 02:00 AM
Son of Odin is on a distinguished road
Default Stalling and won't restart while hot

92 S10 4.3 CPI 4WD
Got a problem for quite a bit of time. My truck will start and run great, but after I drive for about 5-10 miles (it varies) it stalls out. I can feel it coming. Kind of a delay or hesitation then I lose the gas pedal completely, the engine is still (barely) running for a few seconds after I lose the pedal, then it stalls. It will not restart for about an hour. I can run it at idle for a long time, this just happens while driving. I changed the whole injector assembly and EGR about 2 years ago. Since this problem I have changed The Fuel Pump, Filter, Sender unit (it was in real bad shape). That didnt work so I changed the distributor hoping that would solve the hot start problem, because the pickup wires were missing insulation and the pickup coil itself was in bad shape.
I removed the tuning valve and looked in with a light and the side with the regulator is definitly clean looking, but I don't know how long it takes till it gets back to normal , since it was clean when I changed my Fuel Injector assembly about 2 years ago.
I was either thinking the Regulator or the EGR , but usually with the EGR, itll restart and I'ts not throwing any codes. I want to check the fuel pressure, but at this time I am unable to do it.
Any ideas?

Old 04-27-2009, 09:50 PM
lil_blazin is on a distinguished road

i may be wrong but are the battery cutting out maybe it may be somthing to look into im just trouble shooting so i could be waay off but yeah i would check the battery and the wiring .ect

Old 05-04-2009, 06:05 PM
Beginning Member
kwacasey is on a distinguished road

I had a similar problem several years back that involved the ignition module going bad. It would run fine from cold but then after it started heating up then it would stall/loose power and eventually die out. It might be worth looking into. I would not recommend having auto zone or advance test it, they tested my bad one as good. but that was several years ago there testing methods may have gotten better but i doubt it.

Old 05-04-2009, 08:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The trick to getting a good test is to have them to it 10-15 times in a row to heat up the unit. It is not Autozone's or Advance Auto's fault if the unit tests good when cold. Heck, it works when cold. Their test is not long enough to put some heat into the unit. Most ICM and coil faults are due to heat.