Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Started Pulling.

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 12:57 AM
Jharper is infamous around these partsJharper is infamous around these parts
Default Started Pulling.

So today as soon as i got home from school, we started pulling the motor out of the blaze. got about 3/4 of the way done, got all the wireing, accesories and such all off, now i need to take the hood off, and unbolt the motor mounts, and shes ready to go. any sugestions on easy ways to do it would be nice, thanks.

Old 12-15-2007, 04:59 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Started Pulling.

Scribe a line around the hood to hinge mounts before you unbolt it. Then when you go to put it back together just line up the scribe makrs witht eh hinges and it will be aligned witht he fenders and front clip, no further ajustment needed.

Tranny disconnected and resting comfortable on a jack stand with a block of worrd betweent he jack stand and tranny pan. If oyu push that tranny pan up into the tranny valve body you will run into tranny problems.

Unbolt the a/c from the engine and rest it on teh rad support.
Unbolt the power steering pump and let it lay in the engine compartment.
Leaving them there means you dont have to disconnect thier hoses.

Pull hte radiator out.

Make sure you have enough room above the engine to get the engine over the front clip and the cherry picker doesnt hit the garage door/roof. In my case my cherry picker was hitting my garage door and the oil pan was hitting the front clip. I had to tip the engine sideway while my wife lifted the engine.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:55 PM

thanks for the help, already have everything almost pulled, whats the easiest way to get the fan off?

Old 12-16-2007, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Leave the serp belt on and then loosen the nuts. Once the nuts are loose, take the serp belt off.

However no doubt you have already taken the serp off, and removed some of the other stuff.
so the next best option, take your serp belt or a pull holder from Sears and wrap it around the pulley, hold it in place and loosed the nuts.

Old 12-16-2007, 09:16 PM

we put the serp belt back on and pulled it off, worked good lol, thanks for the help. im pretty sure ill need some help in the next week or so .

Old 12-17-2007, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran

I'll do my best to watch this thread. I'll get an email when you post.

By the way.

[sm=ttiwwp.gif]

Old 12-19-2007, 06:01 PM

okay, so i go to get the new motor today, and its a normal 4.3 not vortec, so it wont work unless i pull the bottom end out. im thinkging im just going to rebuild mine, more money and time, but way better in the long run. thanks for the help. ill keep you posted on my status

Old 12-19-2007, 08:50 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

thats suck to hear about that motor, hope you are back on the road soon

Old 12-21-2007, 05:48 PM
BF Veteran

ORIGINAL: Jharper

okay, so i go to get the new motor today, and its a normal 4.3 not vortec, so it wont work unless i pull the bottom end out. im thinkging im just going to rebuild mine, more money and time, but way better in the long run. thanks for the help. ill keep you posted on my status
What do you mean by Normal 4.3L, not Vortec?

Old 12-22-2007, 01:32 AM

Chevy didnt produce the vortec until 95 or 96 (not exacly sure) but the motor came out of a 94 s10, it does not say vortec anywhere on it, and the intake is way different then both the vortec virsions. im returning it to get my money back and just rebuild mine.

Quick Reply: Started Pulling.