Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Starter issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2018 | 11:52 AM
|
Beginning Member
brade is on a distinguished road

I think the other video didn't have sound but hopefully this one does

Attached Files
File Type: avi
starter.avi (3.20 MB, 21 views)
Old 01-14-2018 | 12:28 PM
|
Beginning Member

Does anyone know the part number or a link to a new bendix? I think it would be cheaper to just replace the bendix for now instead of taking the whole starter to the rebuild shop. I'm sure he could probably get it done faster but i don't even know if his shop is still open or if he shut it down. I could go to pull a part and get one for around $20 or get one from the local junkyard for $35 but my luck those would be bad too. I know it's going to be at least another week before i can fix it due to me having a family to provide for and the blazer not being a top priority yet. But I'm almost positive the bendix is bad because i slow charged the battery for almost 12 hours and it's fully charged now but it still but the starter does the same thing. Now i just have to find a bendix but i don't want to order the wrong one.

Old 01-14-2018 | 07:57 PM
|
Beginning Member

Im guessing the solenoid is the problem. I took the starter apart and everything in it looked fine. I didn't mess with the solenoid so I'm calling it bad. I'm gonna try and get a junkyard starter tomorrow and hopefully at least get a good solenoid from it.

Old 01-15-2018 | 01:12 AM
error_401 is on a distinguished road

Would also have been my guess.

Seems to work properly and judging from how it turns over battery seems to be good.
Looks like someone would turn the key for just one second and let go again.

You said you had the starter tested at Autozone and there it worked properly?

Jumping the solenoid terminals, maybe with an external pushbutton switch?

Old 01-15-2018 | 11:15 AM
|
Beginning Member

My wife was recording just to show her friend what she was doing. I had to find an app and edit the video to cut out all her talking lol. But i was turning the key and thats all it does. I let go after the starter disengages so i don't completely fry it. I even tried jumping the solenoid with a screwdriver to see if it might be a bad wire and got the same thing. In all my research I've heard these engines always stop in the same spot so i guess i need to actually spin the engine around and check the whole flexplate just to be 100% certain that its something with the starter. If the flexplate looks good then I'm going to try to get a junkyard starter and see what happens. I'll post the results later.

Old 01-15-2018 | 11:56 AM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Initially it seems like the starter and the solenoid are good. You may have a bad ground or other circuit issue. There is a lot current to crank that starter. IF you have a bad spot in the circuit, as the current heats the circuit up it can make the bad spot "trip" (for lack of a better term) causing it to open or creating too much resistance due to possible corrosion in the circuit. Once it shuts off, it cools the circuit just enough to give you a completed circuit again until you crank again. Of course it is possible the bad spot is in the starter itself.

Check the block ground where it connects and maybe take it off and clean it up. Be careful not to disturb the Crank Position Sensor which is right next to the block ground. Actually before I put a wrench on the block ground, I would do a starter voltage drop test. This should give you a better direction towards the source of the problem. At a minimum it should help you determine if the complete starter circuit is good or bad.
Loads of videos on You Tube to show you how to do it. If the starter tested good at Autozone, it probably is and I would do more trouble shooting on the circuit itself before I spent money on another starter.

Old 01-15-2018 | 01:11 PM
|
Beginning Member

Just got done turning the engine by hand (a real pain by the way) and checking all the flexplate teeth and they're all there and all look good. I'm still leaning towards the solenoid itself because the p o said they didn't tighten the small wires nut down so if it wasn't getting a good connection and they kept trying to start it then it's probably shot. A pick n pull starter is only $20 and a junkyard is $35 so im not loosing out on much by getting another one even if it is bad too.

Old 01-15-2018 | 08:26 PM
|
Beginning Member

Ok so i got a pull a part starter and it actually works like it's supposed to. The engine turns over fine now so i guess the solenoid on the brand new starter was bad. Now I just have to figure out why the plugs ain't getting fire. The ignition coil works because i can see it sparking through the wire to the distributor cap. My next move is going to be checking the distributor cap and rotor button for any signs of wear. I posted on here before about another blazer i had that was getting spark and fuel and everything but just wouldn't fire up. It turned out to be a small hole in the distributor cap. I pulled a plug wire from this blazer and put another plug in it to see if the plugs are doing anything and i got nothing. So if anyone has any ideas about what would be causing this issue now I'd like to hear it.

Old 01-20-2018 | 01:45 PM
|
Beginning Member

IT RUNS!!! I was checking the wires for bad spots and the #2 wire fell apart in my hands. So i changed all the wires and put about 2 gallons of gas in it just to make sure it was getting gas and it took it a minute but finally fired up. Now it can be my get around vehicle when i decide to start actually fixing my truck instead of just rigging it up to keep it moving. I didn't do much but maybe this will help someone in the future if they have starter issue's like i did. Thanks for the help.