Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Stroker

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 07:33 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

aftermark carb w/electric choke

Old 01-27-2010, 07:42 PM
Beginning Member
88K5blaze is on a distinguished road

yea thats the kind of things i need to know, prices on those axles? places to buy?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:53 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You are going to want to search salvage yards and/or just keep your eyes open for an old 1ton GM truck stuffed back in the weeds or in a hedge row of some farmer's field. That is the cheapest method of getting them. You can typically buy old trucks for their salvage value, harvest off what you want from them, then cut up and recycle the rest.

That's what I am doing with my '90 Suburban parts truck. The motor, front doors, dash, A/C, and wiring are all going into my K5. I'll have a TBI 350, modern delay wipers, A/C, cruise, power windows/locks, etc.

And I wouldn't be so quick to revert to a carb. You can get pretty good performance out of a TBI motor and there are added benefits. One of them being off camber terrain where a carb has the potential to flood out leaving you vulnerable.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:02 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
You are going to want to search salvage yards and/or just keep your eyes open for an old 1ton GM truck stuffed back in the weeds or in a hedge row of some farmer's field. That is the cheapest method of getting them. You can typically buy old trucks for their salvage value, harvest off what you want from them, then cut up and recycle the rest.

That's what I am doing with my '90 Suburban parts truck. The motor, front doors, dash, A/C, and wiring are all going into my K5. I'll have a TBI 350, modern delay wipers, A/C, cruise, power windows/locks, etc.

And I wouldn't be so quick to revert to a carb. You can get pretty good performance out of a TBI motor and there are added benefits. One of them being off camber terrain where a carb has the potential to flood out leaving you vulnerable.

all depends on your carb. holleys you'll get more out of them but they are more temperamental and harder to tune. edelbrocks give you less power but are more consistent. all depends on what you want to do with it.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spectreblazer
all depends on your carb. holleys you'll get more out of them but they are more temperamental and harder to tune. edelbrocks give you less power but are more consistent. all depends on what you want to do with it.
Um... Yeah. Kind of a generic statement that sounds like rhetoric and doesn't really apply to anything that I have said... I guess it's all in what you know.

Myself, I can tune a Q-jet to perform as well as a Holley or Edelbrock. And Holley carbs are not temperamental for me either.

They all have one main flaw, a fuel bowl that can over flow at hard angles. Sure you can get a Holley Truck Avenger if you wanted to spend the money, but the TBI that he currently has will work quite well and is quite flexible if you are willing to learn how to use it. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 PM
Beginning Member

sweet, so i'll go look in the bushes for one haha no really, its a good idea, never thought of looking at scrap for a good rear end

Old 01-27-2010, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Don't forget the front too.

A Dana-60 from a 1-ton will bolt right in provided it is not a dually front axle. But a 1-ton 14BFF will have the spring perches would be set too wide. They would have to be cut off and welded on at the correct 42.5" spacing that your truck has (common to all other 1/2ton & 3/4ton GM trucks).

Old 01-27-2010, 08:39 PM
Beginning Member

i know that site, im a member there i have an 88 camaro too, sounds good. THANKS

Old 01-27-2010, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Does your Camaro have a TBI motor as well? If so, you'll kill two birds with one stone if you learn how to tune them!

Old 01-27-2010, 11:18 PM
Beginning Member

yea its a 5 speed 5 liter TBI

what about computer tuning, ie. superchips? is there any plug and play systems to tune these engines or is the technology to old, it'll work for my maro too haha

Quick Reply: Stroker