Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Swap an '05 5 Speed Manual to an'02 ZR2 Auto both 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2019, 10:31 PM
BrassMnKy is on a distinguished road
Default Swap an '05 5 Speed Manual to an'02 ZR2 Auto both 4x4

Hi All. Hoping to get some insight into what's involved in transplanting the five speed manual transmission in my tired '05 LS Jimmy to a much fresher '02 ZR2 Blazer. Bought the '02 Blazer with a blown automatic transmission for parts, then discovered it was in overall better shape than my '05 Jimmy. It even runs better, and has lower mileage. I'm fairly certain all the parts are directly interchangeable, just not sure if the computers and or electronics are the same, and what other challenges I may encounter during this task. I've always preferred a manual over an auto, and I need to do the job myself ( with some help from my friends ) to make it feasible.. so I seek your wisdom and advice to aid me in my endeavor. In addition to the transmission swap, the front driveshaft on the '02 was removed due to the need for a replacement actuator, which came with it when I purchased the truck, however it was never installed. I know the 4WD system in the '05 is tip top, so once again, if something turns out bad with the '02's 4WD system, are the parts from the '05 a direct replacement? I must note that the ZR2 has an auto 4x4 option, whereas my Jimmy does not.
So I will now say thank you to you all in advance for any, and all input you can share.
BrassMnKy from Ontario Canada

Old 02-09-2019, 10:46 AM
SRIslash is on a distinguished road

How have you made out so far on this. I’m going to look at a 4dr 98’ with blown automatic and have thoughts of a 5speed transplant.

Shawn

Old 02-09-2019, 11:06 AM
BF Veteran
cleburne red will become famous soon enough

Following. Would love to have a manual in mine

Old 02-09-2019, 05:17 PM

I scouted at the wrecker today, it looks like the clutch pedal and bracket are semi independent. Still a decent sized job though. May involve the dash being pulled.

Old 02-10-2019, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Could be wrong, but need to add the paddle, clutch booster, there was some wires that had to get done, to fool the system to be in park or something like that. I've seen it somewhere, but cant remember for the life of me where lol...

Old 02-10-2019, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by DonL
Could be wrong, but need to add the paddle, clutch booster, there was some wires that had to get done, to fool the system to be in park or something like that. I've seen it somewhere, but cant remember for the life of me where lol...
if you recall it please post. I’m still in the thought process of the task now but really am digging it.

Old 02-10-2019, 05:34 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

The clutch pedal literally snaps in, no dash removal required. The hole in the firewall for the clutch master cylinder is already center punched, and the wiring for the clutch pedal switch is already there. It will plug right in to the switch. You will need to have the PCM reflashed for a manual.

I put an SM465 (4-speed) and a NP205 in mine in a weekend. It really wasn't difficult at all.

Old 02-13-2019, 11:05 AM
eshaw is on a distinguished road

Does the 5 speed Jimmy have a cast iron front differential in it? That would be a good unit to sell unless you'd want to do a gear change and use it in the ZR2.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:07 PM
Beginning Member
BamaZR2 is on a distinguished road

Man I have been seriously thinking about doing this swap for my 2000 ZR2... I miss stomping a clutch and shifting. Please let us know how it goes... Because I'm pretty dead set on it. Good luck! Hope it turns out Bad A$$.

Old 03-11-2019, 05:55 AM
BrassMnKy is on a distinguished road

Haven't started the project as yet. I know it's going to be a lot of work, and it's Cold up here in Ontario Canada! Thanks Tom A for the info, and ray of hope. Please, if anyone who reads this can provide any further technical expertise, please share it.
Thanks

Quick Reply: Swap an '05 5 Speed Manual to an'02 ZR2 Auto both 4x4