Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Throttle position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2020, 04:01 AM
Beginning Member
L333BOA is on a distinguished road
Default Throttle position sensor

Having a couple of idle / stopping issues with my 1998 blazer, it has code P0102 which initially said low voltage mass air flow, took air intake off to throttle body and cleaned everything and reset code, drove fine but when turned off and back on it throws eml up again, a couple of different people have said try a throttle position sensor so I’m going to order one and to see if that helps with the issue, where about's in the UK is best for getting hold of a TPS as I’ve found loads on eBay but won’t get here till end of next month, any help much appreciated thanks

Last edited by L333BOA; 07-26-2020 at 01:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 09:31 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Why would you replace the throttle position sensor when the code tells you that the problem is with the mass airflow sensor? You may or may not need a new MAF (best thing to do would be to check what it's doing with a scanner) but, if you're going to throw parts at it, wouldn't it make more sense to at least start with the MAF?

Old 07-26-2020, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
Why would you replace the throttle position sensor when the code tells you that the problem is with the mass airflow sensor? You may or may not need a new MAF (best thing to do would be to check what it's doing with a scanner) but, if you're going to throw parts at it, wouldn't it make more sense to at least start with the MAF?
Apparently the MAF was replaced within the last year, a few people have suggested TPS could be the problem even if it’s not throwing a code up for it so for the sake of a few quid I thought it might be worth giving it a try, if not could be a naff MAF

Last edited by L333BOA; 07-26-2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 03:43 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

It's not going to be a TPS.

Better I think to spend the "TPS money" on an inexpensive scan tool. P0102 is not difficult to diagnose. Just monitor the MAF rate with the scanner. Idle should be 4-7g/sec. If is less than that still doesn't mean your MAF sensor is bad. Read the diagnostic info here.

If you want recommendation for an inexpensive scanner for your phone let me know.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagno...plained-28157/

Old 07-26-2020, 04:20 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by LesMyer

Better I think to spend the "TPS money" on an inexpensive scan tool. P0102 is not difficult to diagnose. Just monitor the MAF rate with the scanner. Idle should be 4-7g/sec. If is less than that still doesn't mean your MAF sensor is bad. Read the diagnostic info here.

If you want recommendation for an inexpensive scanner for your phone let me know.

All of this. Then you'll have a tool you can use in the future, too.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by L333BOA
Having a couple of idle / stopping issues with my 1998 blazer, it has code P0102 which initially said low voltage mass air flow, took air intake off to throttle body and cleaned everything and reset code, drove fine but when turned off and back on it throws eml up again, a couple of different people have said try a throttle position sensor so I’m going to order one and to see if that helps with the issue, where about's in the UK is best for getting hold of a TPS as I’ve found loads on eBay but won’t get here till end of next month, any help much appreciated thanks

Brill thanks, I guess that’s why I’m here lol, not sure what scan tool my neighbour used but all he could tell me was the code and brief description, might invest in one this week, not sure what to go for so a push in the right direction would be great thanks.

Old 07-26-2020, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tom A
All of this. Then you'll have a tool you can use in the future, too.
Thanks

Old 07-26-2020, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by L333BOA
Brill thanks, I guess that’s why I’m here lol, not sure what scan tool my neighbour used but all he could tell me was the code and brief description, might invest in one this week, not sure what to go for so a push in the right direction would be great thanks.
Need to know if you have Android or I-phone. Here in the USA (for Android) about $35 total for bluetooth OBD2 device and app from Amazon and Google Play. This will have the Extended GM PIDs for monitoring sensors, etc and you have several choices.

If you want handheld scanner device, I'll let someone else make the suggestion.

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-26-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:49 AM
Beginning Member

Need to know if you have Android or I-phone. Here in the USA (for Android) about $35 total for bluetooth OBD2 device and app from Amazon and Google Play. This will have the Extended GM PIDs for monitoring sensors, etc and you have several choices.

If you want handheld scanner device, I'll let someone else make the suggestion.
I’m on an iphone, yea just something basic will do

Old 07-27-2020, 08:32 AM

A Wifi OBD2 adapter that plugs into your vehicle is below. I am not familiar with this one, but it seems highly rated in the UK.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/iLC-OBD2-Wireless-Code-Reader/dp/B01NAQ2878/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bafx+wifi&qid=1595855877&sr=8-1 https://www.amazon.co.uk/iLC-OBD2-Wireless-Code-Reader/dp/B01NAQ2878/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=bafx+wifi&qid=1595855877&sr=8-1

The app that I would recommend for your i-phone is called Dash Command. You buy it for $10 and it will do all the SAE PIDs just like it is (including live mass air flow sensor reading). Then you pay another $10 for each vehicle that you want to use Enhanced GM PIDs on (these are PIDS that GM chose to make for their own diagnostic use). The enhanced PIDs are paid for and turned on from within the installed app. The Enhanced PIDs on Dash Command include ones like like Cam Sensor Retard (important on our Blazers). Dash Command gets you for an extra $10, so it would be $45 total in the US. One important thing to know about Dash Command is that it does not support Enhanced PIDs for GM vehicles past 2009 or Ford past 2014, however you should get basic functionality.

I have heard that Blue Driver app is also good, but it is more expensive at $99 (does include the Wifi OBD2 adapter). That's about it for the iPhone apps I am aware of that are good for the Blazers.

https://www.palmerperformance.com/products/dashcommand/

Last edited by LesMyer; 07-27-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Throttle position sensor