Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Thrown Rod??? Only 85k miles.... :(

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 09:02 AM
dbleon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Thrown Rod??? Only 85k miles.... :(

No rust its mint... probably the cleanest first gen i have personally ever seen. I can try to get pics up...

Old 04-18-2008, 09:16 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Like anything else, it's worth whatever a buyer will give. If I were buying an '89 with a blown engine, I'd say $500 max.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:44 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I like what Kyle recomended, put some new bearings in it and drive it till it drops. I also have a different opinion than most people. I have a 1989 GMC Jimmy that I put in a GMC factory rebuilt engine. My opinion is that it is not only the value of the vehical itself but what is it going to cost to replace it. If it costs $5,000 to get a decent vehical, if you belong to a credit union get a loan and put in a replacement engine. When I bought mine the prices for the same engine from the local dealers was all over the place. I ended up getting an engine from local chevy dealer for 1,900 and installed it myself with no assistance. This was for a VIN Z 4.3 Long Block with 60K warranty from GM. (Does not matter who installs the engine for the warranty) I checked into local engine rebuilders and engines from Autozone, but what sold me on GM is the fact that it is warrented at any GM dealership. I have almost 390K miles on my 89 Jimmy and it is my DD and runs great. If you decide to sell it, I would list in on ebay with a ton of pictures. The great body and interior and low miles should be worth at least $1500. At least with EBAY you get a lot more exposure that just your local market. I would not rule out listing it on Autotrader or Cars.com as well. I already have well over 60k on my replacement engine.

If you decide to replace the rod bearings, I did the same thing on a Plymouth duster that I had, and at the time I was a poor college student. All I did was drop the oil pan, remove the rod caps and install.001 undersizdbearings, this eliminated most but not all of the knock but I was able to drive it untill someone rear ended me and totalled the car.

Old 04-18-2008, 11:13 AM

Has anyone ever passed emissions with a 350 swap???

Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

hey dude i found an engine for $200 around here where i live for u. not sure of how many miles on it or how it is. but heres the link: http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/pts/647517144.html

we could work out a deal or somethin so u could get it

Old 04-24-2008, 05:41 PM

Sorry to bring this back up, but i keep going back and forth on whether or not i want to sell the truck... i already had my buyer back out, so maybe i'll just fix it. 2 QUESTIUNS IF I MAY:

1. What year 4.3 will fit? Meaning what will bolt straight up, just having to swap over the intake system?
2. Is it possible to pass emissions with a 350? My mechanic buddy says it wont happen, but Ive seen them before.

Thanks guys, and sorry again for bringing up an old thread.

Old 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

What is with all these blown engines, the Blazer I just bought is an 97 with 88,000 miles & it has had the engine replaced.

My take on your situation is a little different possibly. First, if it is a rod or even a valve, if it was me I would look in two different areas. First, A reman engine with a warranty installed should run $3500. Now you can't go get another truck for that. If you could how much would you have to spend to get it in as good of shape as the one you have & know what the problems are.
Second, if you have a reputable wrecking yard close I would go talk to them about a used engine. If they are reputable they will tell you what year & how many miles are on it, also most will start them up and let you hear them run. I use to install used engines in trucks a friend of mine owned for his company fleet. I never had any trouble with them. My Blazer has a used engine in it that was put in before I bought it. It runs good after getting the bugs worked out of it. Costs vary I would guess around $600. You can buy remans for $1600 shipped. That is long blocks.
I have come to the place with mine (& you guys know I was PISSED OFF,) that I really like the truck I paid TOO much for it but then again I paid 1/5 of the cost of a NEW ONE. That I'm going to just fix it when it needs fixing. To replace this truck with a new one is $25,000+plus, higher insurance, licence fees, etc. Even if I have to do another engine. If I didn't really like the truck that would be different, but today it runs OK so I'm driving it. Plus All the work that has gone into it I now have a pretty good idea about what this truck is all about. Someone on this board said something awhile ago that makes a lot
of sense, if you go buy another used truck your just buying more problems. So it is cheaper in the long run to fix what you have even if you have to pay $3500.
My last point on this subject I believe the engine failures are do to running TOO LIGHT OF OIL. I don't care what GM says. Todays oils are SO THIN because of GAS MILEAGE requirements. I'm running Lucas in all my trucks today, and have been for sometime now. I feel that is added protection against engine failure in todays engines, plus they run hotter for smog requirements also. Chevys have never liked HEAT. Just my opinion after years of being a mechanic.
Craig

Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM

Can anyone answer my questios? I really need to know what will fit in there...

Old 04-25-2008, 12:19 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

THIS POST should shed some light on your situation. Just follow the links.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:28 AM

Nevermind, i found a nice 4.3l out of a '91 for $150... I even drove the truck! I'm just buying the longblock, and im gonna try to do the swap myself.

Quick Reply: Thrown Rod??? Only 85k miles.... :(