Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:03 PM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ticking noise

Brian:

How many motors and trannies do you plan on working your way through on your way to a million?

Old 07-13-2007, 08:56 PM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure! However many it takes!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:04 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey both of you guys, I have a questionabout your noise. Do you hear it inside the car? I mean is it really quiet and sounds like it is coming from in front of the driver? If so I have a cost-free easy fix!

Old 07-13-2007, 10:28 PM
FFJustin99Chevy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm up for a cost-free easy fix! What have you got?

Old 07-13-2007, 11:59 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

My lifters are hella loud.

Old 07-14-2007, 03:18 PM
aced411 is an unknown quantity at this point

It is fairly quiet. I can barely hear it from inside w/ the radio off, but keep in mind my exhaust is kinda loud. It's easy to hear if I stand by the hood. As far as by the drivers area, I haven't listened that closely I can check again.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:55 PM
Verno will become famous soon enough

One morning, I started my blazer, the lifters were ticking like crazy upon startup, till it warmed up.
I thought to myself, well i'll just adjust them, like Idid on my 92 S-10, which had a 4.3 also.
After some investgative work, seems the lifters are non-adjustable, it's just torque em down to 30 ft. lbs,thats it.
This indicates a lifter or two is seeping down after sitting awhile.
It did this for 2 days, then I went down to Advance Auto, picked up some Mobil One Fully Synthetic 5-30w.
Did the change,with a new filter,it hasn't ticked since, plus it's been holding the best pressure it ever has.
It's been a couple months now, sill quiet.
It's worth a shot to try, instead on engine work.
I hope the best for all that has the ticking going on.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:56 PM
BrianMichaels1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I can hear my ticking noise inside the vehicle (though most people can't hear it no matter how hard you try and make them). But it only ticks for about 15-20 seconds after the engine is started, and as Justin stated, it only does it if the engine is starting cold.

For the record I've used Mobil 1 fully synthetic 10w-30 oil and filter (rated for 15,000 mi., changed regularly at 4-5,000 mi.) since about 80,000 miles and now I'm at 100,000.

Old 07-14-2007, 11:29 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm up for a cost-free easy fix! What have you got?
I can hear my ticking noise inside the vehicle (though most people can't hear it no matter how hard you try and make them). But it only ticks for about 15-20 seconds after the engine is started, and as Justin stated, it only does it if the engine is starting cold.
Ok guys I HOPE this is your problem, I'm pretty confident that it is BrianMichaels problem, cause this is a cold-engine only concern that I found on several 2000-2002 Blazers back when they were new. The next time you start your blazer cold pop your hood and have someone handy to assist.Sart your truck and make sure you hear the noise, if it's there have them move you accelerator cable off of the PCV tube and see if the noise quits. The noise I'm talking about is actually the PCV rattling which is normal, but it transmits to the passenger compartment because the accel. cable istouching it. If that's your noise, just get a zip-tie and secure the cable away from the PCV tube. Let me know if this helps.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Verno will become famous soon enough

ORIGINAL: lastcoupe
this is a cold-engine only concern
move you accelerator cable off of the PCV tube and see if the noise quits.
Guess I'm lost, wouldn't the accelerator cable be touching the whole time, hot or cold ?

Quick Reply: ticking noise