Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   Engine & Transmission (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/)
-   -   Top/Bottom End Alignment (https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine-transmission-35/top-bottom-end-alignment-100401/)

Mods 11-05-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by odat (Post 715277)
In less I've been asleep at the wheel while following this the valve covers have never been removed so the rockers are still tight and set - If so just how is the cam free wheeling with the rubbing your fingers on the gear face - as it turns it will be opening and closing valves and hard to turn .... Are you sure you are not backwards in thinking which is cam and which is the balance shaft ..... Just thinking out loud here but maybe worth asking .....

Appears i just might. Just for the hell of it im going to order 3 new bolts for the cam chain sprocket, Align the marks and button it up, clean it, oil prime it and crank it over, then take it to an ASE cert mechanic next time it needs any major work until i've got a bit more experience and info put together on how these ones operate, either i wasnt looking hard enough or was looking in the wrong places for information. So much for an easy project to get into the world of automotive work eh? Thanks for all the help despite my inability to understand you folks.

LesMyer 11-05-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mods (Post 715280)
Appears i just might. Just for the hell of it im going to order 3 new bolts for the cam chain sprocket, Align the marks and button it up, clean it, oil prime it and crank it over, then take it to an ASE cert mechanic next time it needs any major work until i've got a bit more experience and info put together on how these ones operate, either i wasnt looking hard enough or was looking in the wrong places for information. So much for an easy project to get into the world of automotive work eh? Thanks for all the help despite my inability to understand you folks.

And I didn't help matters by telling you to remove the balance shaft when the intake was still on! Just FYI the balance shaft is at the top of the block and runs off the gear located directly behind the camshaft gear. The three bolts go through both the camshaft gear and the gear located behind it. The front camshaft gear is driven by a chain that goes around it and the crankshaft gear. You can see this in the second video that Error401 posted in post #37

LesMyer 11-05-2019 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by odat (Post 715277)
In less I've been asleep at the wheel while following this the valve covers have never been removed so the rockers are still tight and set - If so just how is the cam free wheeling with the rubbing your fingers on the gear face - as it turns it will be opening and closing valves and hard to turn .... Are you sure you are not backwards in thinking which is cam and which is the balance shaft ..... Just thinking out loud here but maybe worth asking .....

Wow! This was a really good observation!! It blew right by me!! forgot everything was still assembled.

error_401 11-05-2019 01:18 PM

The balance shaft should definitively not bind or be hard to turn.

Do you have all disassembled again?
Can you attach a picture or two so we get an idea of what the engine looks like on the internals?
That rusty snout had me wonder as well.

Mods 11-05-2019 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by LesMyer (Post 715281)
And I didn't help matters by telling you to remove the balance shaft when the intake was still on! Just FYI the balance shaft is at the top of the block and runs off the gear located directly behind the camshaft gear. The three bolts go through both the camshaft gear and the gear located behind it. The front camshaft gear is driven by a chain that goes around it and the crankshaft gear. You can see this in the second video that Error401 posted in post #37

Originally Posted by LesMyer (Post 715283)
Wow! This was a really good observation!! It blew right by me!! forgot everything was still assembled.

Originally Posted by error_401 (Post 715288)
The balance shaft should definitively not bind or be hard to turn.

Do you have all disassembled again?
Can you attach a picture or two so we get an idea of what the engine looks like on the internals?
That rusty snout had me wonder as well.

Nono Balance shaft is fine, im just a confused person, it didnt occur to me until Odat had mentioned that i might be confused as to orientation of the two bits that i thought "wait a minute the balance shaft should run atop the lifter valley not right inside it" that i realized my mistake. Only real issue is that i cant find the damn timing mark on the balance shaft, after that its as simple as priming it (oil) and then cranking it over, and that would be all its mechanical issues solved.

https://www.mcmaster.com/91257a585 And it seems these bolts are the right fit, so thats this thread resolved.