Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

torque converter bolts

Old 07-03-2012, 10:30 AM
Beginning Member
adumsted is on a distinguished road
Default torque converter bolts

Still working on getting the transmission out of the 2000 4we s10 blazer. Ive got the starter unmounted and I'm having trouble getting to the solenoid connections, is there a trick to getting the starter out of the way? Also, is there more than one way to get the torque converter unbolted? Can I remove the transmission first and then the TC?

Old 07-03-2012, 12:54 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Best to unbolt the converter before removing the trans . Its not hard at all .. you just need the tool to hold the flywheel in place when unbolting the 3 bolts on it.

the starter wires are tricky but it is possible to get them out ...
Imo its best to get it out of the way.

Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
Beginning Member

You think a pry bar for fly wheel? Or is there a special tool?

Old 07-03-2012, 02:13 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

+1 for what gio said.
the convertor bolts arent that bad...pop the inspection plate on belly of bell housing to turn the flywheel by hand ...i used a large screwdriver...then un bolt them.
The starter..... i went thru the front under valance area to get the nuts off connectors.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks a lot guys, ive got a small pry bar moving the fly wheel so I'm on the right track. I still cant get the starter completely out but its atleast out of the way. Ive got all the bell housing bolts out so once these three TC bolts come out I should be in the clear.

Old 07-03-2012, 03:44 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yup she should come off after that

Next time remove the converter bolts before removing the bell housing bolts

Old 07-03-2012, 04:08 PM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Or at least put the bottom bolt on each side back in finger tight. Hate for it to break loose as soon as you get the converter bolts out and it shifts/falls.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Beginning Member

Ive got a transmission jack supporting the tranny, I didn't want to take any chances while I'm under a 100 plus pound hunk of metal.

Old 07-03-2012, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

ive done numerous s10 transmissions and i dont remember ever having to remove the starter, i think once you tip down the engine a bit you can move it out of the way.also for those torque converter bolts, if you have a impact, long extension and a swivel you can make short work of those thing instead of trying to hold the flywheel and turn the bolts off at the same time. becomes a pain in the butt

just make sure you have the battery disconnected, those starters like to make sparks if they hit the frame

Old 07-04-2012, 07:28 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

One thing to remember here guys is that the 98+ (and some 97's as well) 4L60E transmissions have a full 360 degree bell housing. The starter must be removed to access the torque converter bolts. It isn't as simple as removing a dust cover and having wide open access to the front of the flex plate.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: torque converter bolts