Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Traction Control.

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:27 AM
gojorg has a spectacular aura aboutgojorg has a spectacular aura about

ok, I know I'm not crazy, did a quick search and found this right away, so u guys tell me if it is right
1997 Chevrolet Blazer
did search anymore bc I'm babysitting
Jorge

Old 11-03-2011, 11:17 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

yeah but if you click the options button it doesnt say anything about traction control. the only thing i could think of that someone might consider traction control is the auto locking diff. one tire slips and the other locks in, giving some form of traction control. but there is no option on any blazer that automatically controls each individual wheel speed and power control like traction control systems do.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ABS can be considered a traction control system. They are likely referring to ABS as traction control in that edmunds article. Most TC systems in other vehicles work through pulsing the ABS on the wheel that is spinning, but to do so, it must be able to differentiate between each wheel discretely. Since the s-series trucks do not have wheel speed sensors at each rear wheel, how is the system to know which wheel to pulse the brakes on. Further, since there is only one rear brake line, there is no way to independently brake on one rear wheel.

I still have yet to see traction control in the sense of limiting wheel spin as an option on any s-series suv. I also could not find an RPO code that has traction or TC in its description besides the description of G80 which is the locking differential.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by bromanjr
The schematic shows the ATC fuse is for the "Automatic Transfer Case" Power (4WD) I have a 2000 Blazer and Traction Control was not offered as an option.

EDIT - Agreeing with swartlkk.
I did agreed with him because it make sense and I did mention that the mechanic that found the problem told me it was automatic traction control not the right one, funny when I posted it when I had my 4wd break nobody corrected it. I know the difference between a locking differential and abs and traction control, I have driven quite a few cars with the different options and know how they work and how they feel.
Next thing there were some with traction control and I have seen them and been in one don't know exactly what years was that they made it and it didn't last too long because it was not a popular option with the buyers.
To the original poster of the question pm me and I will tell u what the human encyclopedia about cars told me today about the traction control on this S series, I don't want to make it feel here like I told a kid on christmas eve that there is no Santa because it looks like I hit a nerve on some of our fellow Blazer enthusiast. Maybe you do have one of the rare ones.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:44 AM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gojorg
I did agreed with him because it make sense and I did mention that the mechanic that found the problem told me it was automatic traction control not the right one, funny when I posted it when I had my 4wd break nobody corrected it. I know the difference between a locking differential and abs and traction control, I have driven quite a few cars with the different options and know how they work and how they feel.
Next thing there were some with traction control and I have seen them and been in one don't know exactly what years was that they made it and it didn't last too long because it was not a popular option with the buyers.
To the original poster of the question pm me and I will tell u what the human encyclopedia about cars told me today about the traction control on this S series, I don't want to make it feel here like I told a kid on christmas eve that there is no Santa because it looks like I hit a nerve on some of our fellow Blazer enthusiast. Maybe you do have one of the rare ones.
hmm interesting. we aren't saying its not possible just highly unlikely, but if you have for sure been in a blazer with actual traction control then i believe you. and it sounds like you know the definition of traction control, so hmm thats really interesting. i could imagine it being on a newer blazer tho. Don't quote me but i believe at some point there was a "trail blazer" model that was still on an S-10 frame and was essentially the same as the blazer just different trim and some other things. so maybe that had it? i would be really interested to find out for sure tho.

Edit: hmm well i did a little research and it looks kinda like the UK blazers are the ones that have or could have it. here is a link i found for buying traction control systems and you cant get them in the US. http://www.buyyourcar.co.uk/car-part...action-control
to me what they show just kinda looks like an ABS system but im not sure.

Last edited by 97cherryblazer; 11-04-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 05:39 AM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

just out of curiosity does it have auto 4x4...and if so was it set to auto?

Old 11-04-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by coolasice
just out of curiosity does it have auto 4x4...and if so was it set to auto?
I have only seen 4 and all of them in Puerto Rico ( wich is part of the United States) and all were 2wd or rwd only with the sport suspension, I don't recall the years but they were 96 and up, my friend had a sonoma extended cab that had it and a neighbor had the S10 extended cab non extreme the other 2 were a 2 dr blazer extreme and S10 extended cab extreme, like I mention before I only seen it on the ones with sport suspension and 2wd not in 4wd models.

Old 11-04-2011, 09:08 AM
Beginning Member
motorboy1128 is on a distinguished road

My friends 02 bravada I know for a fact has sportrax which is auto 4x4.So I don't know, I will drive my blazer and see what it does when I just sit on the gas and brake, with the front wheels on the street and the back in grass,(its be raining off and on here) so they WILL spin. and Ill see what happens.

Old 11-04-2011, 01:16 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

is yours a 4x4? does it have the 4 button controls...and if it does does it have the auto button selected?