Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny Acts Up when Cold

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2006, 11:00 PM
Beginning Member
Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tranny Acts Up when Cold

My 2000 2dr 2wd Blazer one morning decided not to move in Drive, unless you mashed down on the gas, then it slips alot. After it gets going and shifts to 2nd it is fine.Reverse works fine. I also noticed that if you put it in Low (1) it seems ok.

After the engine warms up,everything seems fine, no problems at all.

Any help appreciated.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:16 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Tranny Acts Up when Cold

Did you check the trans fluid once it got to operating temp?
It doesn't have to be low by much for it to start slipping.

Old 12-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Beginning Member

It checks in the Cold range, when cold.
And in the Hot range when hot.

When it started this it was low, so I added a quart. Smells okay.

Also the Service Engine Light was on, and I found the air filter pretty dirty. So I replaced it.

Old 12-31-2006, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member

Would removing the battery cable and resetting the computer do any good?

It has 4.3L with 60,000 miles.

Old 12-31-2006, 06:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Resetting the PCM without correcting the problem is really only a bandaid fix... Won't really accomplish anything as the fault will come right back. You really need to get the codes read.

You may want to go through and clean the MAF sensor just so see if it has any impact on the issue at hand.

But definitely get the codes read to see what the PCM is trying to tell you. Advanced Auto, Autozone, and a few other autoparts retailers will do a free code scan for you. Just report back with the codes and we'll work from there.

Old 01-12-2007, 10:22 PM
Beginning Member

Okay here's what I found.

I cleaned the MAF sensor, but light is still on , and no change to tranny.

Purchased Code Reader and it shows 758, book says Shift Solenoid B Electrical.

Is this a DIY ?

Old 01-13-2007, 10:17 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

Vehicle Control Module (VCM) is the same as the "computer" talked about on this forum, it is also called the ECU, PCM and other acronyms...

Conditions for Setting the DTC
DTCP0758 sets if one of the following conditions occurs for 5seconds:

Condition 1
The VCM commands the solenoid ON and the voltage feedback remains high (B+).

Condition 2
The VCM commands the solenoid OFF and the voltage feedback remains low (0volts).

Action Taken When the DTC Sets [*]The VCM illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).[*]The VCM commands third gear only.[*]The VCM commands maximum line pressure.[*]The VCM inhibits TCC engagement.[*]The VCM freezes shift adapts from being updated.[*]The VCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The VCM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.[*]The VCM stores DTCP0758 in VCM history.
[ul][/ul]
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC[*]The VCM turns OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test runs and passes.[*]A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.[*]The VCM clears the DTC from VCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission-related diagnostic fault occurring.[*]The VCM cancels the DTC default actions when the fault no longer exists and/or the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the VCM.
[ul][/ul]
Diagnostic Aids[*]Inspect the connectors at the VCM, the 2-3 SSvalve and all other circuit connecting points for an intermittent condition. Refer to Testing for Intermittent and Poor Connections in Wiring Systems.[*]Inspect the circuit wiring for an intermittent condition. Refer to Testing for Electrical Intermittents in Wiring Systems.[*]Refer to the Shift Solenoid Valve State and Gear Ratio table.[*]A faulty ignition switch may set this code.
[ul][/ul]

Old 01-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Beginning Member

[sm=smiley5.gif]Well, if I reset the code will it fix the slipping in the transmission ? Where is the Shift Solenoid B located ?

Old 01-14-2007, 03:31 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Sparky

[sm=smiley5.gif]Well, if I reset the code will it fix the slipping in the transmission ? Where is the Shift Solenoid B located ?
NOPE because you will have done nothing to check the transmission wiring....the solenoid may be on the valve body under the transmission pan...ie you will have to draing the transmission pan and locate the proper electric solenoid...not a DIY unless you know some basic transmission functions...

Go to your local library and read a Helms or Motors Manual for your vehicle to get an idea....

Old 01-27-2007, 03:13 PM
Beginning Member

Wiring on plug seems okay. If I wiggle it then trans seems okay for a little while. I drove it and would stop and cut the engine off and start again. One time it wouldn't go so I crawled underneath and wiggled the plug and it took off okay. I cleaned plug with electronic contact cleaner and code reset and blazer drove fine. Next morning code came back and would not take off in drive. Could the problem be on the plug on the inside of the tranny. Is this a common problem.

Quick Reply: Tranny Acts Up when Cold