Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny comes out of gear & engine dies?????

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 10:46 PM
kurupted is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny comes out of gear & engine dies?????

Ok I have a 2000 chevy blazer 4.3 with 130K , I was driving on the freeway steady 70mph and all of a sudden my tranny came out of gear and the engine started sputtering and died, while coming off the freeway It smelled like a component had burnt up bad. I came to a complete stop, parked it and tried starting it back up. It wanted to start but it did not sound right. It would crank over, and it would feel like it was locking up at times. I have no idea where to start checking.???? Any ideas? suggestions? Also it has been serviced last mth. tune up, wires, plugs, tranny service,......

Old 03-28-2009, 03:32 PM

what I have found after check the cap and rotor

Old 03-28-2009, 08:29 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you will be needing a new distributor and CMP sensor before your diagnosis goes any further... Hopefully that is the only problem. I can say that is the first time I have ever seen a distributor come apart like that...

Old 03-28-2009, 10:48 PM

replaced the distributor, cap and rotor. Tried starting her and nothing. Just cranks over. What can I check now any suggestions?

Old 03-29-2009, 08:40 AM
Starting Member
BlazinMike89 is an unknown quantity at this point

when trying to start her up how does it sound, is it a slow crack or a normal one, describe that

Old 03-29-2009, 12:12 PM

When I first started cranking it I got like a "hoof" sound from the engine, like it wanted to start after that it just cranks over normal.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

How did you just replace the distributor cap and rotor with the top of the distributor looking like it does in your pictures? The mounting flange that the rotor is bolted to is loose... Not connected... The CMP sensor is beat up badly.

IMO, you need to replace the distributor and the CMP sensor.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM

Those pictures above are what I found after inspecting why the engine died. That cap and rotor was installed not to long ago when I gave the blazer a tune up. I had to install a new dist. since the mounting flange came loose, and also a new cap and rotor since those were damaged. New dist., cap and rotor and no start now????

Old 03-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Administrator

Did you replace the chewed up CMP sensor (the part that is bolted into the base of the distributor)?

Did you get it properly timed (see EDI Engine Timing thread in the Tech Article section)?

Old 03-30-2009, 11:46 PM

yes the dist. came with a new CMP sensor. I got her running , I was 180 off.

Quick Reply: Tranny comes out of gear & engine dies?????