Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Tranny cooler install

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 02:58 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Tranny cooler install

Hey everyone. Anyone have any photos of their tranny cooler install? Would be a very big help. Going to try it myself soon.

Also if a couple of the fins on a B&M Supercooler are dented on the corner, does it mean that it will leak and not to use it? I believe the last shop I took it to to try to have it installed dropped the cooler on the floor. Thanks alot.

BD

Old 02-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have any pictures, but it is fairly straight forward to install. I have put several on s-series trucks. When I did my old 2k Bravada, I just used the through the radiator retainers and plumbed it in to the upper line.

Old 02-06-2010, 10:38 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

The instructions are very easy to follow and it's an easy job requiring no special tools. You shouldn't have any problems with the install. Toughest part is the lower fitting on the radiator and getting access to it.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by AJBert
The instructions are very easy to follow and it's an easy job requiring no special tools. You shouldn't have any problems with the install. Toughest part is the lower fitting on the radiator and getting access to it.
Is the lower fitting the "return" line everyone seems to talk about where to install the trans cooler to?

Old 02-09-2010, 11:38 PM

Ok, sorry to ask another stupid question, but how do I remove the grille and the surrounding structure to access the front of the radiator? I just came across a how-to guide on another off-road forum by accident with pictures on how to install a B&M Supercooler on a Blazer, but I understand that the front ends on the Blazer and Jimmy are different and the means to disassemble them are most likely also different. I don't know if it is against forum policy to post a link, so I won't unless an admin gives the all-clear. Don't want to get kicked off such a fine forum with such fine people in it! Thanks again.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Grill comes off very easy. Just grab hold and pull. There are, I believe, six prongs that need to be popped out and you are done.

If memory serves, the bottom fitting on the radiator is coming from the transmission and the top one is the return. Been a while since I installed mine.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:15 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Did any of them come with stock trans coolers?
four fittings and two hoses off of my radiator

Old 02-10-2010, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by wlorton
Did any of them come with stock trans coolers?
four fittings and two hoses off of my radiator
As far as I know (and don't quote me on this), the only cooler is in the radiator. The fittings on the driver side are engine oil cooler lines (had those replaced a few months ago. They have a bad habit of leaking.) that go between the oil filter and the radiator. The ones on the passenger side are transmission cooler lines.

EDIT:

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 02-10-2010 at 10:56 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 10:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Every s-series truck has a stock transmission cooler. It is located in the passenger side radiator tank and is cooled by the engine coolant.

The engine oil cooler is in the driver side radiator tank and is cooled by the engine coolant.

The loops of steel line in front of the radiator on the driver side (if you have it) is the power steering cooler.

Old 02-10-2010, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by AJBert
Grill comes off very easy. Just grab hold and pull. There are, I believe, six prongs that need to be popped out and you are done.

If memory serves, the bottom fitting on the radiator is coming from the transmission and the top one is the return. Been a while since I installed mine.

Ok thank you all very much. This helps alot. Trying to avoid having to take my car to mechanics if possible. My truck has been to many of them. Only about 2 or 3 I have taken the truck to in the past 2 years have actually been honest. GMC dealers rate on the extreme low on the honesty scale. Small towns/Small businesses are usually very honest and polite and those shops are the ones I will stick with if I am near them (I travel alot).

And don't worry. I am done asking dumb questions about this project.

Thanks again.

Last edited by ComputerNerdBD; 02-10-2010 at 10:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Tranny cooler install