Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

tranny quest

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 12:28 AM
geo barr is on a distinguished road
Default tranny quest

hey guys i'm new to the forum and have a trans question i got a 95 blazer with 4.3 vort. trans. wont shift out of 2nd into 3rd. or overdrive. it shifts 1st to 2nd. but wont shift out of 2nd.the r.p.m.s get so high then acts like it's slipping let off gas it's still in 2nd. thanks for help

Old 02-06-2011, 05:38 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Options are: 1. Have your trans rebuilt at a shop that actually rebuilds your trans. 2. Have a national chain swap out your trans. 3. Take a chance on a junkyard trans. 4. GM re-manufactured trans. On my 89 the first time the trans went out I had a local shop rebuild mine. (resonable price with 1 yr warranty). The second time it went out I opted for a GM Re-manufactured trans. (The local chevy dealer delivered the new one and picked up the old one from my local trans shop at no charge) The cost to remove and install was a lot cheaper than the dealership.

Old 02-07-2011, 01:13 PM

so it needs rebuilt darn. i was hopeing it would be a shift soleinoid or something easy if anyone has any idea what else it could be please let me know, so i can at least give the mechanic some ideas or some sort of info about what it could be.
thanks again

Old 02-07-2011, 05:56 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

i have a 99 blazer and mine done the same thing. after a bit it would run 1st up high in rpms before it would switch to 2nd. then it went completely out after about a month. i went with junkyard option for now.

Old 02-07-2011, 07:30 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

You can check to see if your fluid low and burnt. If it is burnt more than likely your clutch disks are slipping. You can always take it to a trans shop for a diagnosis and hope for something other than a a complete rebuild is needed. You might just get lucky and be able to replace a worn part.

Old 02-08-2011, 10:02 AM

ok guys thanks for reply's the fluid was low ,but it doesn't smell burnt and still looked red and fairly clean looking. although when i droped the pan the magnet was covered with material and a little bit in the bottom of the pan. thank again

Old 02-21-2011, 07:45 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

does your speedometer bounce around or not work at all ? If so the vehicle speed sensor is probably bad .

Old 02-22-2011, 12:32 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by geo barr
ok guys thanks for reply's the fluid was low ,but it doesn't smell burnt and still looked red and fairly clean looking. although when i droped the pan the magnet was covered with material and a little bit in the bottom of the pan. thank again
you never mentioned what the mileage of your truck was, but i'm guessing it's @ last 150K. for a higher mileage truck, material in the pan is normal. to a certain degree.

have you topped up the trany fluid yet? low fluid will stop it from shifting properly, and cause major slipage. & therefore major damage.

personally, i'd have a trans shop look @ it before pulling it out. or 2 if you don't like the first guys answers, and go from there. it could just be a hung up servo or dirt trapped in the valve body.

keep us updated on what you find out.

Old 02-22-2011, 07:51 AM

ok guys i decided to take out & look @ for myself . i took it apart and almost all of the clutches were burnt up, every section but one. it was all metal to metal ,so i got a reuild kit for it and rebuilt it, and so far so good. runs & shifts great it's only been a few days since the rebuild, but i think it's going to last for a long while. i dont know how many miles where on the tranny,the guy i bought it off of said it had a new trans. in it. but he must have got a high mileage one at junk yard and said it was new. the blazer it self has almost 200,000 . also the speed O works fine. is there any thing i can do next time to keep the clutches from burning up like that or does it just happen over time,because if the guy did put a new trans in it and it burnt up that quick, i must have did something realey wrong let me know what you guys think. thanks guys for all your help & your reply's

Old 02-22-2011, 09:48 AM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

the only thing you can really to to prevent failure is change your fluid and filter every year, and when you do change the fluid use only dextron 6 fluid.

Also not beating on the truck would help it too, but im sure you already knew that...