Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

tranny/transfer case issue

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 01:36 PM
heartlessmcfly is on a distinguished road
Default tranny/transfer case issue

hi, did a search and didnt come up with anything. my girlfriend called me from work and said her car was smoking. i ran over there and checked. there was a little puddle under her car. i popped the hood and checked all fluids. she had no tranny fluid in the car. so i bought 2 quarts and filled it up. drove it home and shifted fine. when i got home, it was leaking from what seems to be the transfer case drain plug (15mm socket). i checked the tranny fluid again and it was dry. does anyone have any idea? i loosened what i believe is the transfer case drain plug to see if i could use teflon tape or maybe the plug was stripped. when i cracked it loose, fluid was leaking out. im not a 4x4 guy so any input would be great.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Input seal on the transfer case is leaking allowing the transmission to push fluid into the transfer case. You have to pull the transfer case to replace the bad seal. While you have it out, replace the vacuum switch on the transfer case that actuates the front axle engagement.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:34 PM

Appreciate your help. Might decide to go ahead and do it in the driveway tomorrow. Just to clarify, which one am I looking for? http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-j5cl9Z6o2sg

Old 08-06-2011, 06:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The OE PN should be 14095609 for the NP233C. SKF 19255 shows compatibility with this OE number. Not sure about the timken cross-over.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:42 PM

Jacked the car up today. Stupid question, the lower most screw in the center of the picture (picture taken from passenger side, front of car to the right) is the oil pan right? If yes, this is where the plug is leaking from. If yes, why when I drained it was it reddish?

Attached Thumbnails tranny/transfer case issue-2011-08-07_16-37-23_558.jpg  
Old 08-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Administrator

That is the oil pan drain plug. By reddish, how red are you talkin'?

Old 08-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Actually...its like a dirty oil color. More brown than red. Ignore that comment. I have no idea where this is coming from. I had a steady drip from the oil pan drain plug yesterday. It only seems to leak when driving.

Old 08-07-2011, 04:07 PM
Administrator

The leak may not be from the plug itself, but rather up further on the pan. My old Bravada had a problem with the pan bolts wanting to loosen up over time. After repeated torquing down of the pan bolts, I ended up cleaning each bolt & bolt hole with solvent, then putting some medium strength loc-tite on them and never had another problem. It too would only leak while running and it dripped off of the plug.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:47 AM

Well, I drained the oil, made sure all bolts were tight, refilled, let it run and took it for a short drive. Checked under car and no idea leaks....?

Old 08-11-2011, 04:26 PM

Dropped the car off at the mechanic and he called me today. Says the tranny detent cable is broken causing the tranny to overheat and leak from the breather tube. Car has 140,000 on it. He says he can put a good used tranny in for 850.00. My question is, is it worth to fix and sell for 2000.00 or sell it as is for 1000.00? Ideas?

Quick Reply: tranny/transfer case issue