Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Trans question

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2018, 02:33 PM
qman97 is on a distinguished road
Default Trans question

Newbie Blazer owner with a HUGE issue.......might be regretting my purchase

long post so I will try to keep it short as possible.

I just purchased a 1997 Blazer LT 4x4, automatic, all the options. I am the second owner. First owner has passed and wife is a neighbor in NY.

So i get offered the Blazer at a great price., has only 85,000 miles and no rust. Only thing that was done was the previous owner was having some slipping transmission issues that she took it to her longtime mechanic and he said it needed a new transmission. New transmission put in and driven about 100 miles before I got it. I checked it all out and noticed the fluid level low. Looked at the repair sheet and they did indeed put in a new transmission and added 7 quarts trans oil. I topped it off to the correct level with 4 1/2 quarts 😳 Of the correct trans oil and rechecked hot, cold, after I drove 20 miles......multiple times with no issues, no leaks shifting fine in all gears including 4x4.

So so I was feeling good when I left NY heading home to NC when just outside Fredricksburg, VA (511 miles) I was cruising at 60 mph and the tach jumped to 6000. I immediatly kicked off the cruise control and noticed I have no gears. I limped to side of road and I have nothing but park. No forward, no reverse, no 4x4 nothing. My wife was behind me saw nothing other than be breaking and signaling to the side of the road. I head no noise, no grind, no bang, nothing. We ended up renting a trailer to get it home so I can see what's up.

once home I still have no gears, oil level looks good nothing burnt nothing looks out of the ordinary. I can select 4x4 hi or low and the indicator light switches accordingly but no movement at all.

anybody have any idea where to start? Could it be electrical? Truck runs fine, no stalls or sputters I just have no gears what so ever. Any help would be appreciated!

My dad is in contact with the transmission shop to see what they can do with the warranty since the truck is now 750 miles away.

Old 10-08-2018, 03:38 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Here is a page I downloaded when I was trying to understand what happened to my transmission. (I lost the 3/4 clutch pack.)

For you check out #21: No movement in any gear: pump failure, or total loss of fluid. Remove transmission and rebuild, or refill pan and find the leak. If out of fluid, avoid running the engine until the transmission is refilled to avoid pump damage. To check for pump failure, check fluid level with the engine off, then start the engine and recheck \ fluid level. If level does not go down when engine is running, the pump is broken.

Old 10-08-2018, 04:10 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Check the torque converter to fly wheel bolts - it wouldn't be the first time bolts were not tightened or some left out by mistake during a parts swap.

Old 10-08-2018, 06:48 PM

Thanks for replying!!

i forgot to mention there is no check engine light on, and the 4wd fuse was blown. I replaced with the correct fuse and still nothing. The 4wd worked in high and low when I tested it in Buffalo and was driving in 2hi.

Would a solinoid failure cause this issue? Reading more about it they say that a solinoid failure would cause the transmission to go into a neutral state.

Would a pump failure make noise? I heard nothing and hear nothing grinding. How can I check if the pump failed? I read if I diconnect the passenger side of the transmission cooler at the radiator it should spit oil when the engine is running

thanks again for any and all help/replies!

john

Old 10-08-2018, 06:56 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by qman97
Thanks for replying!!

Would a pump failure make noise? I heard nothing and hear nothing grinding. How can I check if the pump failed? I read if I diconnect the passenger side of the transmission cooler at the radiator it should spit oil when the engine is running

thanks again for any and all help/replies!

john
John, I'm no expert but I know we have someone on the forum who is. I'm sure he'll find this thread soon enough.

Did you try the test in that excerpt I found? Checking the fluid level with and without the engine running to see if it changes? That seemed pretty easy to try.

Old 10-08-2018, 07:04 PM

Not yet but it is #1 on the list for tomorrow. I didn't get home until late and didn't get a chance.

I forgot I have my father in laws Chevy 2500 van in the driveway.......that has a 4L80e trans in it. Worst case scenario I swap that in???

I'll give the dipstick test a try and post up what I find tomorrow

Old 10-08-2018, 07:30 PM

Ok, I checked it cold and it was of course about 2-3 inches up past the hot hole. I let it warm up to temp and ran it through the gears stopping at each one and revving it up to see if that would creat pressure to get it to go into gear. It "almost" feels like it might be trying to go into gear but there is not enough pressure to get it there. I rechecked the level and it looks like it dropped some but it is still up on the dipstick. I also hit the 4wd high and low and they are actuating just fine.

Old 10-09-2018, 11:57 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

If the fluid level did not drop down past the hot level once running the pump has failed. Very common problem on this unit. No noise or grinding when failed. As far as putting a 4L80E in its place is quite expensive and time consuming project. You will need to replace or rebuild the transmission in your vehicle. Good luck.

Last edited by Transman304; 10-09-2018 at 12:03 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by odat
Check the torque converter to fly wheel bolts - it wouldn't be the first time bolts were not tightened or some left out by mistake during a parts swap.
and I repeat

Old 10-09-2018, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by odat
and I repeat

TY! On the list to check today once I get home, I appreciate the tip and advice

Last edited by qman97; 10-09-2018 at 12:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Trans question