Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transfer case help

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Beginning Member
spaceapex is on a distinguished road
Default Transfer case help

Clanging noise coming from transfer case. Do I have to drop the trans to pull the transfer case? The noise is similer to when U joints start going bad but definatly from the rear output end of the transfer case. It is loudest when coasting at around 25 mph. Does NOT get louder when you step on the gas if anything it is louder when you let off the pedal completely. Is this gonna cost me a ton of cash?

Old 05-09-2010, 12:32 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Didn't pull my trans when I dropped my t-case to reseal it. I did pull the adapter off the back if the trans to seal it too so it was on a jack stand a couple of days. Mine is a 94. It was really leaking and I replaced the trans mount because the fluid ate up the mount, Just some things to watch for.

Old 05-09-2010, 12:38 AM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

No you dont have to pull the trans. Just remove all the connectors, vent hose, and the shield on the bottom. Then unbolt it. I have the same problem with mine. Mine had a little play in the spines. It could also be a stretched chain. One thing to check once you pull it apart is the clutches and make sure there isn't any wear on the back half of the case where the clutches are. Eventually it will wear through the case. You can get a shim from the dealer for $33 that will protect it from wearing through. The part number is BARNEY-411. They should know what you are talking about. They put them in a lot of fullsize trucks. Which have the same t-case.

Old 05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Beginning Member

How did you correct the "play in the splines?"

Old 05-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member
tiresmokindad is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Transfer case help

Originally Posted by spaceapex
Clanging noise coming from transfer case. Do I have to drop the trans to pull the transfer case of the centerforce clutch kits? The noise is similer to when U joints start going bad but definatly from the rear output end of the transfer case. It is loudest when coasting at around 25 mph. Does NOT get louder when you step on the gas if anything it is louder when you let off the pedal completely. Is this gonna cost me a ton of cash?
Yes I think. It is costly to have that. I think you should drop the transfer case before its too late.

Last edited by tiresmokindad; 07-07-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-06-2010, 03:18 AM

If you drop your t-case by the sound of your problem you only have to remove the back half of the t-case to fix what's wrong. Really not that difficult. All the heavy duty (lots of parts) stuff is in the front. Is fluid dripping out of the tailstock? If it's dry, it just might be a U-joint. If not there's a rear bearing in the back of the oil pump housing and a bushing in the back of the extension housing. It'll be obvious if you have a bad bearing. It's a ball bearing and if it turns rough at all, replace it. Be sure to pull the VSS first so you don't mess it up. And keep the parts laid out exactly as you took them apart. You'll save yourself a lot of frustration on reassembly if this is your first. If you can find one locally (maybe even the library) the Chevrolet Light Duty Truck Unit Repair Manual gives you step by step instructions for overhauling the whole transfer case. Good luck and if you need help, we're here.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:53 PM
Beginning Member

The rear u joints are brand new. No leak. Can I change the chain just by pulling the back of the case off? Pretty sure thats the problem. Its a steady clang clang clang clang. silent above 40mph and below 15mph. loudest at 27mph. I bought a used case on ebay and after waiting 3 weeks the ahole refunded my money so its back to the drawing board.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would not try to replace the chain with the transfer case still in the truck. You will have a hard time keeping everything lined up properly. Best done with the case out and inputs/outputs vertical.

Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 AM

Certainly wasn't telling you to try to remove the back of the case in the truck. Man, if you're going that deep into it do yourself a BIG favor and get some tech manual on the thing. The shift fork pads are recommended to be changed whenever you tear it down that far (if they're accessed). What model of t-case do you have? It's on the tag located right above the fill plug on the back. It'll say NP 2XX (you tell me what the XX is). I have some stuff on doing the job up to NP 241.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 06-08-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:37 AM
Beginning Member

its the np233. I just can't seem to find a used one and I don't know how long its going to last like this. at the least the chain is eating through the case and all the oil is going to come out.

Quick Reply: Transfer case help