Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission??

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 08:13 PM
blazinjimmy94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Transmission??

i wouldent give up on gm i have a 94 jimmy...my engine blew so i got it rebulit but my tranny had 134,000 miles on it and im just replacing it now...i bet u had a factoy defect.

Old 10-09-2006, 10:45 AM
VRDriver4l is an unknown quantity at this point

I mean, ya i think I may have been took a bit. In my opinion a transmission on a truck should be able to get the living **** beat out of it before it goes out. So I am oredering my monstertrans mild built transmission today with a new torque converter from them to, hopfully this setup should be significantly stronger than the stocker. After thinking it over I have decided to swap the transmissions myself. Any tips, advice for doing the swap is greatly appreciated. Are there any specific things to watch out for or anything that is particularly hard. The only real thing that concerns me with the swap is getting the TC on properly and allinged just the way it should be. Im gonna pick up a manual and my step dad is gonna come over to give me a hand with it. Hopfully all goes well and she will have a nice new tranny in her. Also how complicated is it to install a transmission cooler isn't it somthing that is installed onto the pan?? Appreciate any help or input provided. Have a good one guys!!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On the transmission install, only real thing to worry about with the TC is to pour atleast 1 qt of fluid into it and smeering some fluid on the pump drive snout before lifting it up and sliding it into the front of the pump body. The extra fluid on the pump drive snout is to lubricate the front seal to prolong it's life. You MUST make sure that it is fully seated into the pump drive. This can be done by just turning it with light pressure in on the TC. If you measure the distance from the front face of the bellhousing to the TC mounting face with a straight edge, this will give you a rough idea if it is seated or not.

As far as the trans cooler goes, they're nothing to install. Come on over some weekend before/after the install and we can slap one in. I used the fitting kit sold separately on mine, but I've come to find out that it is just as easy to take a pipe cutter to the hard line and just use 2 hose clamps on each hose (you'd need to buy 2 more hose clamps).

As always, if you need any help with the whole process, give me a call!

Old 10-09-2006, 12:42 PM
VRDriver4l is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I just ordered it should be hear in a few days. I ordered the TC from them to and they said it comes installed on the transsmission allready, just make sure that its on all the way they said.

Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 PM
cccfabioccc is an unknown quantity at this point

*************************POST REVIVE*******************************************

using the search feature

I have a 1996 jimmy but yesterday i bought a 2003 s10 2.2l
this truck has alot of bad at a good price $1500
my father is a mechanic and is looking at it but just said real quick needs trans rebuild and i want to make sure that is the case.
basically out of first gear to get going you have to raise the rpms to about 3k to get it rolling once it is rolling it goes if you drive granny style. at about 65 it seems to work fine until you really punch it. the truck has about 96,000 miles. dont want to pay the $600 for the tranny rebuild if i dont have to this is going to be my "flip". i know its not a s10 forum but they are almost the same thing and you guys always know about tranny problems. It also has a front main seal leak since the prior owner hit a large rock at about 40mph that took out the front valance as well. other than that its a good truck. any ideas will help.