Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission braces

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member
Numbchux is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission braces

Hello again....I've come here with a few questions, and I'm back!

I'm putting a '92 CPFI 4.3/4L60 from an S-10 Blazer in my '87 Toyota 4Runner.

I was reading a thread on Pirate4x4 about another Chevota swap, and someone mentioned these braces from the torque converter cover to the engine block, as they were missing on this build. He mentioned that he'd heard of broken transmissions cases, likely because these braces were missing. My donor truck did not have them. So a few days ago, I went to a junkyard to pull some. I found a few CPFI first gens that had them, and noticed that the second gens did not have them. Got them pulled, saved the bolts cool.

I went to install them this afternoon. And it appears that my block does not have the mounts for them. The one on the driver's side was tucked behind the motor mount and oil cooler lines, so I may not be seeing it, but the passenger side one was in pretty plain sight.

I'm sure I have them on the correct sides. I'm also sure I have the driver's side one orientated correctly, as it has a flat spot nearer the engine side. I'm not sure I have the passenger side one orientated correctly, but I think so.

Am I missing something? Did they maybe not come on all models/years?

Old 02-18-2012, 07:29 PM
70Camaroman is on a distinguished road

These braces are mainly added strength for 4 wheeling use. If you want to install the braces go to a junk yard and find a V8 engine with these braces. The motor mount steel plates have a tab which they attach to. No need for holes in the side of the block and no interference with oil cooler lines. You might need to heat the ends of your bars to fit the angles but this will ensure that you don't run the risk of damaging your oil cooler lines by crowding them against the bars.

Hope that this helps, Andy

Old 02-18-2012, 08:04 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

The ones on my 60 degree mounts to the engine plate and timing cover.

The trans was beefed up later is why you didn't see them. When I put a 2.5 in my 88 I left them off and it broke the trans case. The idiot that put a clutch in dads 93 left them out and he bought a trans not soon after. Only way I wouldn't put them in a s-series was if I was running solid mounts and a mid plate.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:05 PM
Beginning Member
Numbchux is on a distinguished road

Yea, they seem like a good idea. Only 4 bolts holding the trans to the engine seems rather.....insufficient.

I have a toyota transfer case behind the 4L60, and I'm using the transfer case mount, instead of the chevy transmission mount. So there's even more leverage on that bellhousing.

Also, I'm not using the 4.3 motor mounts. I had to switch to some lower profile ones (for a 327, IIRC).

So, after spending most of my day off scouring build threads, I have come to the conclusion that my block does not have the mounts for this. Here are a couple pictures of a '93 engine:

And my '92:

Old 02-19-2012, 12:50 AM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Don't know if you know it or not but not using the factory 4.3 mounts is gonna save you all kinds of headaches later down the line.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:51 AM
70Camaroman is on a distinguished road

If you look at picture 4 above you will see as U shaped tab coming off the steel part of the motor mount which bolts to the block. The V8 bars I have seen use this tab, with a hole in it of course, to mount the trans support bars.