Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission causing vacuum line issues?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 08:49 AM
Shelly10589 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission causing vacuum line issues?

I know very little of cars and trucks but I've done a little research and I need a second or third opinion to let me know if I've figured this out alright.

My boyfriend said he was driving his 95 Chevy Blazer auto 4wd down the highway a few weeks ago and he saw ridiculous amounts of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. He pulled over and checked everything, then started the engine and said he saw transmission fluid spraying from underneath the truck. He puts extra transmission fluid in.

A few days later we notice a hose hanging from the bottom of the truck and take it to the shop. Guy said it's a vacuum line and we buy a new one and have it reattached. On the way home, the truck shakes and "grinds" and plumes of white smoke come from the tailpipe. Take it back to the guy and he said it needs to work off the excess fluid that's built up in the line and it will stop. It is driving okay as of right now.

My question - is it possible that the transmission input seal and vacuum switch on the transfer case have gone bad and allowed transmission fluid to build up in the vacuum lines from the transfer case, enough for it to pop off? Would that cause the excess fluid the guy was talking about in the vacuum line and explain the spraying of transmission fluid from beneath the truck on the highway?

I appreciate all responses because, as I said, I know extremely little about mechanics. Thanks!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Shelly10589
I know very little of cars and trucks but I've done a little research and I need a second or third opinion to let me know if I've figured this out alright.

My boyfriend said he was driving his 95 Chevy Blazer auto 4wd down the highway a few weeks ago and he saw ridiculous amounts of white smoke coming from the tailpipe. He pulled over and checked everything, then started the engine and said he saw transmission fluid spraying from underneath the truck. He puts extra transmission fluid in.

A few days later we notice a hose hanging from the bottom of the truck and take it to the shop. Guy said it's a vacuum line and we buy a new one and have it reattached. On the way home, the truck shakes and "grinds" and plumes of white smoke come from the tailpipe. Take it back to the guy and he said it needs to work off the excess fluid that's built up in the line and it will stop. It is driving okay as of right now.

My question - is it possible that the transmission input seal and vacuum switch on the transfer case have gone bad and allowed transmission fluid to build up in the vacuum lines from the transfer case, enough for it to pop off? Would that cause the excess fluid the guy was talking about in the vacuum line and explain the spraying of transmission fluid from beneath the truck on the highway?

I appreciate all responses because, as I said, I know extremely little about mechanics. Thanks!
Well, evidently you have enough smarts to THINK about cause and effect and figger out that fixing the symptom doesnt address the cause.
Fluid is not normally in a vac line, therefore that actuator is bad, at the least. Are you sure he didnt replace that?
I cant answer the primary question but you and your boyfriend should ask around and find a shop that does more than replace loose parts.

Old 12-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Shelly10589 is on a distinguished road

Well he didn't buy anything called an actuator so I am pretty sure he didn't replace it. So far we have replaced the vacuum lines and what were called oil coolant lines because we lost a quart of oil while it was sitting outside my work... this spraying transmission fluid thing is ticking me off =(