Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Cooler Install!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2013, 04:58 PM
Beginning Member
BlazinAmazin is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Cooler Install!!

OK, so, I am headed to Sturgis Aug 3rd. I'm using the Blazer to haul My 94 Honda Magna, and my 2 friends HD Sportsters on a 3 rail bike trailer! I's only weighing 1800lbs, but I figured it would be a good idea to put a transmission cooler on there. I'm in Columbus, OH and Sturgis is a LONG drive from here. Plus my Blazer has 176,000 (still runs and looks like new!) and I'm not sure if the transmission has ever been replaced. Odds are it has, but I've only had it since '10. So, a cooler needs to be on there. I started pricing them, and I wanted a bigger one than I normally would and they get up there in price! I happened to be in the junkyard getting some other parts and saw a 1999(ish) Dodge Durango with the grille off of it, and there sat this amazing, huge transmission cooler, a factory unit. I cut the lines as far back as I could to leave me room to work with, and bought it for $12.99

I installed it yesterday. Once you drill out the rivets on the cooler where the brackets are, and remove the brackets, you are left with a perfect cooler that fits our Blazers/S10s perfectly!

Here's a pic, it was a pretty easy install, the bottom hole was already there, the top, I drilled a 1" hole in the core support behind the headlight. cut the upper line to the radiator from the transmission and spliced it in with some 3/8 rubber transmission oil line.

Attached Thumbnails Transmission Cooler Install!!-9232331143_bbdafe2826_c.jpg  
Old 07-07-2013, 05:12 PM
4X4GS10B is on a distinguished road

Looks good,I thank I'll use your idea. I live in Columbus,Ohio too.

Old 07-07-2013, 06:15 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Did you flair the metal lines and plug the old ones going into the radiator?

Old 07-08-2013, 06:58 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by newguy
Did you flair the metal lines and plug the old ones going into the radiator?
Yes, I used a flare tool to slightly flare out the lines so the hose doesn't pop off.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:42 AM
3gossr3 is on a distinguished road

very nice. ive been thinking about doing the same.

Old 07-28-2013, 09:45 PM
Beginning Member
alex.graham89 is on a distinguished road

I just picked up a new trans cooler and was thinking about putting it in tomorrow. I think they say that you are supposed to put the new cooler in line with the existing one; putting the hot line into the existing cooler and the cool line into the new cooler. I was feeling around there earlier after I had been out for about a 20 minute drive; my question is this.. Is the top trans oil line the hot one?

Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by alex.graham89
I just picked up a new trans cooler and was thinking about putting it in tomorrow. I think they say that you are supposed to put the new cooler in line with the existing one; putting the hot line into the existing cooler and the cool line into the new cooler. I was feeling around there earlier after I had been out for about a 20 minute drive; my question is this.. Is the top trans oil line the hot one?
Yes, use the TOP line!! That's the one you want!

Old 07-30-2013, 04:38 PM
Beginning Member
alex.graham89 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by BlazinAmazin
Yes, use the TOP line!! That's the one you want!
I looked again at the instructions and they say run it from the cool line which is the bottom one, but I was feeling way too lazy to route it down there. I used the top line; easy and it works like a charm

Old 07-30-2013, 08:37 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

i have a transmission cooler installed on mine and a aux oil cooler. i must say its a great investment and it will save ur tansmission from burning up. i use mine to tow,offroad and carry alot of things. my trans temp sits around 150 degrees and up with the cooler installed.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by alex.graham89
I looked again at the instructions and they say run it from the cool line which is the bottom one, but I was feeling way too lazy to route it down there. I used the top line; easy and it works like a charm
Well, I've always been told to use the line that fluid flows FROM the tranny to the radiator, you want to cool it before it hits the radiator, keeps it from putting excess heat into the truck's cooling system. My truck runs consistently 10 degrees cooler now.

Quick Reply: Transmission Cooler Install!!