Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Diagnostic Help! Please!

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:13 PM
TomSawyer is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Diagnostic Help! Please!

I have a '91 s-10 blazer 4.3L with an automatic tranny. The truck has 168K miles and I had something go wrong with the transmission. It will not shift out of first gear and into second, third and overdrive. I have reverse, neutral, park and first gear. A friend told me what he thought the problem was but would like to get other opions and suggestions. Trannys are expensive so any help from you folks would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite possible that the governor has broken. This used a plastic gear which can fatigue and break. Run a search on "700r4 governor" and you should find a thread on the subject.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:38 PM

I removed the dome shaped cover on the drivers side near the cross brace to reveal the governor gear but found a metal object rather than a plastic gear. Did I remove the right cover? I think I may have a 4160e transmission. A friend said the transmission has an electric solenoid inside that has gone bad. Older trannys used vaccuum type modulators, now they use electric solenoids. Is this correct? He also said if your not a mechanic don't even try to fix it yourself. Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by TomSawyer; 03-31-2009 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 06:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to then remove the governor itself. The gear is on the other end of that metal piece.

The 4L60E did not come into play until 1993. The transmission in your truck is properly termed as the 4L60 which is just a renamed 700R4.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:41 AM

Yes, your right. The gear is on the other end of that metal piece. The gear looks to me to be in good shape, no signs of strippage. Could there be a sensor on the transmission that has gone out. Any other thoughts or ideas? Thanks, your help is much appreciated. I'm going back to do more research on this issue.

Old 04-01-2009, 03:58 PM
Administrator

Your symptoms are straight up governor problems. Try replacing the governor.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:54 PM

Right again! Finding that governor was a pain in the... Well anyway most repair shops around here don't sell tranny parts and junk yards want to sell you the whole transmission and not the parts off of it. But, I did get a number from a guy who said, "this guy can help you", well he did. This dude has been working on trannys for 30 years! My governor was "stuck" and he said just clean it, reinstall it and do a service on the tranny.(How honest is that?!?!?!) I still purchased one of his governors for $20 and kept mine for a spare. swartlkk, you called it from day one, YOUR THE MAN!!! Damn your good! You've musta been workin on these chevy's for a while! I just hope this does the trick and there's no other issues with the tranny. This guy said to expect more sticky valves and other issues for a while but most likely won't need to bust into the tranny. Just run it and service it. Well we will see. Lesson learned, service your tranny on schedule!!! Thanks! Let you guys know how it turns out.

Last edited by TomSawyer; 04-10-2009 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Sounds good! Glad to help!!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:54 PM
ooodavie is on a distinguished road

i have the same truck and it revs high in first gear and then shifts then it wants to start off in second when i stop do u think i could have the same problem???

Old 04-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Administrator

Does it go up through the rest of the gears? If so, then I doubt it would be your governor.

Quick Reply: Transmission Diagnostic Help! Please!