Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission engages but after 30 seconds drops, any gear

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2018, 04:30 PM
pirulino23 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Transmission engages but after 30 seconds drops, any gear

Hi all,

I have been looking around for similir issues, but I have not been able to find someone with a similiar situation happening. I have a 1998 Chevy Blazer and when cold, transmission engages and all gears work correctly, but after like 30 seconds, the engine revs a little and then no gears, The car does not move either back or forward. Has anyone experienced this before? Is this a sign that the transmission died or could be something electrical or maybe something that has to be with the filter? I checked the oil and is darker than it should, also checked if there is pressure on the transmission pump and there is.

Any help is highly appreciated.

Old 09-11-2018, 07:56 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

How did you check pressure? Sounds like the filter is plugging up while running and then the debris is falling back away from filter after it is shut off.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:22 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Transman304, I always learn so much from you!

Last edited by christine_208; 09-12-2018 at 03:46 PM.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:01 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Transman304
How did you check pressure? Sounds like the filter is plugging up while running and then the debris is falling back away from filter after it is shut off.
Exactly what mine did when the clutch disks failed. To the OP..... If this is the case with yours it will not be a simple filter/fluid change. Transmission is likely toast.

Old 09-12-2018, 03:48 PM
BF Veteran

If the symptoms came on all at once, then I would think the fault is with something central like lack of fluid due to a plugged filter.

Transman304, could there be a problem with the torque converter??

A filter change can be done at home so it might be worth trying. Also you'd get a feel for what could be going on in the transmission by looking at the contents of the pan. Word of warning, it is a messy job.

Old 09-12-2018, 05:26 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Absolutely could be a torque converter issue. Typically when failing the converter will work until it gets hot, more than 30 sec. Not worth the cost of fluid and filter and time. Something had to fail inside the transmission to produce the debris. About only option is rebuild or replace with used. Still curious how they tested the pressure as stated in the original post.

Old 09-24-2018, 12:38 AM
pirulino23 is on a distinguished road

So, after talking to several shops and a mechanic that came home as I was not able to move the car, everything seemed like I needed a rebuilt or new trans. I was skeptical about why the transmission engaged for a few seconds then dropped, so I tested the pressure (super messy job as I mistakenly cover the wrong output of oil in the radiator) and there was pressure.

Got the filter,gasket and new trans oil, opened the pan, replaced filter and now is running like new, shifting is super smooth and got it to work!!

So it was a clogged filter indeed. Worth the try! Thanks a lot!

Old 09-24-2018, 12:42 AM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by pirulino23
So, after talking to several shops and a mechanic that came home as I was not able to move the car, everything seemed like I needed a rebuilt or new trans. I was skeptical about why the transmission engaged for a few seconds then dropped, so I tested the pressure (super messy job as I mistakenly cover the wrong output of oil in the radiator) and there was pressure.

Got the filter,gasket and new trans oil, opened the pan, replaced filter and now is running like new, shifting is super smooth and got it to work!!

Thanks for the follow-up post. I've so appreciated it when people do it, I promised myself to thank those who do. So Thanks!

Old 09-24-2018, 08:38 AM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by pirulino23

Glad to hear things worked out for you!