Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission flush

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 03:04 AM
Chadoo951 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Transmission flush

I DID look up information on the other treads. Also tried to post on the one that sounded the post like me. But the "post" button was fadded out, kind of like the post was locked.
But anyways,

I have been reading up on the transmission flushes, and so far what I have heard was that they are pretty risky. I heard that if the car had over 75K miles, and the first flush had yet to be done, then dont bother. Well, thats my problem. I have a 1999 4dr 4X4 blazer with 155K miles. The reason that I want to get a flush, is because the check engline light keeps coming on, and the code it is spitting out is "P1870" that is a transmission slip code.

But the thing is, the code only comes on when the car is FULL of people. And we are on the freeway for more than 30 miles. When I am by myself. It never comes on. I know this because I have toke my truck to autozone, cleared the code. And went for a ride to my old house. The light didnt come back on again, untill my fat family got back into the truck to go to our christmas dinner at my aunts.

I also talked to my mechanic earlier and he said that eventually, I am just going to have to rebuild the tranny. Which is the LEAST thing that I would want to do. Do you guys think that I should flush the tranny? ANY advice would be wounderful. Fill me with your knowledge.

hahaha
Thanks Guys
Chad

Old 12-27-2007, 04:51 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Transmission flush

Without knowing if a flush has been done previous I would say no, don't do it!! Your other option is to have the tran pandropped to put in a new filter and then refill it that way!! A flush will force old tranni fluid out and force new fluid in, which can loosen up anything that might have built up in the tranni on seals and what not. So I suggest a pan drop with new filter and a refill that way!!

Old 12-27-2007, 06:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If your transmission fluid looks burnt, I would recommend a pan drop and filter change. Then drop the pan again after a week or so adn fill it back up again. If the transmission is sensing slip, a rebuild is in your future. You may be able to get by for a bit with a fluid change, but...

Old 12-27-2007, 08:11 AM
quinnman105 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just had a rebuilt put into my 2001 blazer. The place that did the work on my truck gave me a 6 month warrenty. Plus did a tranny flush. The truck has over 128 thousand on it

Old 12-27-2007, 04:42 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

If it were my truck, I wouldn't do a damn thing to it.
155K on the original fluid and its slipping. No flush, or filter change will fix the problem, in fact they will make it worse. New fluid will remove the debris that is making your tranny work. I hate to say it, however your due for a tranny rebuild, and your just living on borrowed time.

There is one thing you can do, it may of may not help. Add a can of Lucas tranny treatment to the tranny. It will help seal up those leaks, and might help it live longer.

In the meantime, start doing some research into a rebuilt tranny or a salvage yard repalcement. I did a "Do-it-youself" thread on how to drop the tranny. Give it a read, its not hard, just time comsuming and there are areas you need to be cautious of. Plan on a weekend to remove and a weekend to reinstall the tranny. Especially if this is your first time.