Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission leak

Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member
David12 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission leak

I have a 96 blazer 4.3 4x4, yesterday I found that my transimission is leaking I believe is from the transfer, please find pics attached. My question is, is there any gasket that goes on the joints where the oil drop is? Or should I use just silicone? And What kind of silicone should be?, I'll appreciate any help you guys can give me. Thanks.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:57 AM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

That leak appears to be coming from higher up on transfer case. Check to see if it isn’t coming from a vent hose. May want to check transfer case fluid level. Be careful when removing the fill plug as it may be way over full. The metal clad seal between transmission and the input of the transfer case will become hard and leak transmission fluid past it and over fill the transfer case and blow fluid out the vent. To answer your question about gasket and silicone. No gasket and any name brand RTV sealant ( I prefer the permatex ultra gray)
Good luck and let us know what you find.

Old 04-10-2018, 02:55 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Transman304
That leak appears to be coming from higher up on transfer case. Check to see if it isn’t coming from a vent hose. May want to check transfer case fluid level. Be careful when removing the fill plug as it may be way over full. The metal clad seal between transmission and the input of the transfer case will become hard and leak transmission fluid past it and over fill the transfer case and blow fluid out the vent. To answer your question about gasket and silicone. No gasket and any name brand RTV sealant ( I prefer the permatex ultra gray)
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Thank you for your input I appreciated, When I remove the Transfer fill plug and if it is full that should be the level of oil? And do you know if There is a diagram on how to remove the Transfer?

Old 04-10-2018, 06:11 PM

Yes, when you remove the fill plug it should be at the level of the bottom hole or slightly below. Should be able to touch it with the tip of you finger. As far as removing the transfer case I don’t know of any step by step instructions other than a service manual or a Haynes manual from parts store. May want to look around YouTube also. Good luck.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:35 AM
Beginning Member

Yes, when you remove the fill plug it should be at the level of the bottom hole or slightly below. Should be able to touch it with the tip of you finger. As far as removing the transfer case I don’t know of any step by step instructions other than a service manual or a Haynes manual from parts store. May want to look around YouTube also. Good luck.
Thank you so much, I'll keep you guys update within the process.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:24 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by David12
Thank you so much, I'll keep you guys update within the process.
update!!!! I removed the plug to check the transfer oil and a bunch of oil started to come out is this normal? Please find pictures attached..

Old 04-14-2018, 05:41 PM

You took the top plug out hopefully.
Transmission leak-7613cc61-f3a0-4b75-92c7-1a67f8fbc1e1.jpeg

Old 04-15-2018, 01:20 PM
Beginning Member

You took the top plug out hopefully.
Attachment 36347
yes that's the one I tooked out, I already have the transfer out, is there a seal I should change? By looking the front end where the transmission and the transfer are together it looks that have a seal that is broken, please let me know if this is the seal I should change.

Old 04-15-2018, 01:58 PM

You will at minimum need input seal and transfer case to adaptor gasket. Or go with something like this
Transmission leak-35c50874-df8b-46f8-a777-b55958a197e2.png

Old 04-15-2018, 05:56 PM
Beginning Member

You will at minimum need input seal and transfer case to adaptor gasket. Or go with something like this
Attachment 36348
ok thank you for your help, I'll provide an update tomorrow and see if I can get the seals today.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission leak