Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 10:41 AM
Visions710 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Transfer Case problem

A little background. Simple, other than some basic concepts and how to replace simple parts like a serpentine belt or alternator I know very little about cars. I have recently learned how a torque converter works, but only on a simple concept level. My expertise is in computers, hardware, programming, networking, etc, but cars, not so much, so in other words I learn easily. OK, here are the observations I've made th7s far. First of all, It's a 2000 chevy blazer 4x4. I had 215 tires on the front and the standard 235 tires on the rear temporarily so I could get around. Never shifted into 4wd under this condition because I do understand that smaller tires rotate faster and naturally that would cause conflict In the transfer case. Yesterday, I bought 4 brand new 235 tires and had them installed, so naturally I wanted to shift into 4wd and know it was working propearly. I have the 2wd, 4hi, 4lo, and auto 4wd controls for 4wd. I put it into Auto 4wd and proceeded to back out of the parking spot. Unfortunately I hit the accelerator a little too hard and peeled out a bit as I was backing up. The ground was a little slick, but not like a low traction surface like solid ice. Now, here are the symptoms I can articulate so far. No reverse whatsoever. I don't hear it engage or anything There is a ticking sound which is loudest just behind the engine underneath the vehicle. I don't know what component is there, but there is a squareish shaped "pan?" there. The ticking gets faster when I rev the engine regardless of weather it's in gear or not. I can drive forward but I now have to let off the gas to get it to shift into 2nd or third. It doesn't seem to have a problem dropping into "passing " gear. I tried to drive it a short distance to a convenience store but it became harder to get it to up shift. Also, when it wouldn't shift and the engine rpms got higher, I would notice the dash lights dim and then it would stall. Sorry for being so ignorant, but I suppose that is why this forum is here. Any ideas or questions I could answer that would provide more information? Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Visions710; 02-21-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: changed 5 button to 4 button.
Old 02-21-2017, 01:45 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Ouch! Sounds like the sunshell failed. Really doubt it was your fault. Pretty common on 4L60E transmissions. Mine did the same last year after just lazily shifting into reverse. Tran$ rebuild time I think - but Transman please confirm. I paid $2300 at Precision Transmission (labor is a killer on the 4wd Blazers), but I do have a nice warranty as a result. Just couldn't see flat-backing it in my garage in the middle of the Winter and what good is having 4WD and associated crappy gas mileage in the Summertime (if I missed driving it in all the snowy weather).

p.s. don't keep trying to start it and trying to drive it if you ever want to use that tranny again. Stripped teeth are circulating inside.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-21-2017 at 02:22 PM.
Old 02-21-2017, 05:15 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

Lesmyer you are correct and the symptoms described points to a stripped reaction shell. The only thing that I am questioning is the stalling of the engine. The forward gears you are missing will be 2nd and 4th. Don't continue to drive as you will make a fairly easy repair turn real expensive. Unfortunately the transmission has to come out for repair. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

Old 02-23-2017, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Transman304
Lesmyer you are correct and the symptoms described points to a stripped reaction shell. The only thing that I am questioning is the stalling of the engine. The forward gears you are missing will be 2nd and 4th. Don't continue to drive as you will make a fairly easy repair turn real expensive. Unfortunately the transmission has to come out for repair. Good luck and keep us posted on progress.

Thank you both for the answer. I guess I need to start getting some cash together.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:07 PM

FYI Precision Transmission said they would be willing to attempt to repair just the sunshell, replace the torque converter, and flush out the trans cooler - but cost would not be that much different than doing a full rebuild and with the rebuild I would get a warranty and all new seals/parts. I agreed that was the best route to go (if I was paying someone else to fix it). If I was doing it myself I may have tried for a cheaper repair, depending on if anything got chewed up. Honestly, I was just glad to have it finished and back on the road in only a few days without any effort on my part (but lighter pocketbook). Something that rarely happens for me!

Good luck with your Blazer. Price a few new SUVs and it will put a few things into perspective.

Old 02-23-2017, 12:42 PM

Thanks. I got a quote from a transmission shop of $1300, including seals parts labor everything to repair what was broken and the replacement parts he said he was going to install were more sturdy so this wouldn't happen again. Also a warranty. I didn't ask what a complete rebuild would cost, but do you think this is reasonable?

Old 02-23-2017, 12:51 PM
Transman304 is on a distinguished road

That's a very fair price for repair. Good luck! Keep us posted on progress.

Old 02-23-2017, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by Transman304
That's a very fair price for repair. Good luck! Keep us posted on progress.
I will. Thank you for all your help!

Old 02-23-2017, 02:37 PM

Yep, sounds like the guy is quite familiar with the issue that you have and HD parts are made to address this problem. Can't remember what year GM fixed the weak part problem, but it was obviously later than mine.

Seems he is shooting you an extremely good price IMHO. He obviously wants your business. Maybe he is not busy and wants to keep work going in his shop.

Good luck and best wishes for a successful repair.

Want to make sure that engine still runs as it did before and engine sounds normal to you. Slightly worried about the stall and rpm comments that you made.

Last edited by LesMyer; 02-23-2017 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-24-2017, 02:12 PM
Strangerock is on a distinguished road

Lol , I would question if GM ever fixed the week part problem.

Quick Reply: Transmission problem