Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission seizing up?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 12:05 PM
Beginning Member
Jpcalhoun is on a distinguished road

Its not my daily, its a project that's drivetrain wise almost done other than the trans issue. I'm just trying to pinpoint the problem so I don't put a lot of time and money into a toast trans. I understand that's not always possible though and sometimes u just have to experiment with trial and error. But I will try what u suggested though. And does anyone know how to test the trans solenoid on the 4l60e?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:40 AM
Beginning Member

Ok, new update, I dropped the trans pan and put in 4 fresh quarts of trans fluid. It seemed to help very slightly but not much at all. However, it now has a noticeable shudder at about 45mph cruising at 1,500 rim's. It may have done this before the fluid change though, I wasn't really looking for a shudder before u brilliant I saw another post about it. What would cause it to shudder? Next I'm going to try to unbolt my muffler and see if it is restricted, as I noticed a big dent in the side of it when I was taking off the trans pan. But it really puffs out some exhaust though... idk

Old 10-03-2011, 10:08 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

So.. you replaced some of the brown fluid with new. You didnt put in the Lucas. If it looked brown on the dipstick, I got a really good idfea what it looked like in the pan. Muddy sludge, right?
You have a shudder at 45 mph. Guess what Lucas says on the blurbs. But you're looking at exhaust restriction as possible cause.

- very unlikely.. MORE likely worn TCC.

You dont want to throw money into a toast transmission, but it's a project not a daily driver. Thus a hint that you're going to get a new trans or rebuild that one, anyway.
Put the Lucas in
Or take it and have the trans flushed.. then 80% chance it wont work at all
and you'll be forced to replace it... Because additives have to have something to work with and Lucas wont work if the car wont move.

All we can do is suggest what we know from our experience.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:01 PM
Beginning Member

The bottom of the trans pan had a very thin layer of a liquid sludge, but wasn't anything bad like I had expected. I also had bought enough fluid to empty the trans pan twice to get half or better of the old fluid out, then I was going to add the Lucas. Should I do it that way, or should I put it in now and change the fluid again later or not at all?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:36 PM
Beginning Member

Put Lucas in the trans and still no results. I drove like 10 miles and nothing changed at all. Maybe this is an engine problem? Need to check spark plug gaps, ignition coil, timing advance, ect . Tried to get muffler clamp off but wouldn't budge even with a snap-on 1/2" cordless impact. Figured that would have broke them off but guess not. Have to grind it off... any more suggestions?

Old 10-03-2011, 09:54 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

First.. no additive works every case, or every time any case.
Second.. it takes a while to swell the compounds.

I seem to recall other guys saying it took a couple hundred miles.. but it should work as it sits, too.

I AM confident it wont make things worse.. drove 160K after adding to 140k trans with hot-slip / lockup shudder probs and never touched the fluid.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Beginning Member

Idk I guess ill just drive around with it for a while and see if it gets any better and keep testing other possible issues. I have a feeling that its something simple that will show instant results... will keep posted

Old 10-05-2011, 08:02 PM
Beginning Member

Did a fuel pressure test and with engine off and for 2 seconds after key is turned over pressure is at 56 psi, but after 2 secs it drops to 50 psi. With ignition off it stays at 50 psi but drops to 40psi in 5 minutes and to 20psi in 15 minutes. Sounds like I may be replacing a fuel pump soon. Just replaced fuel injectors/ fuel pressure regulator as well as fuel filter in the last few months. Fuel pump was replaced about 2.5 years ago and ran for about 4 months than sat for 2 years while engine was rebuilt. Maybe sitting for so long ruins it? Or am I completely wrong and these results are acceptable?