Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Slipping Hard Help

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010 | 04:46 PM
|
TwitchZ28 is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Slipping Hard Help

Hey everyone I just purchased a 1993 S10 Blazer LT. 4x4 with the tahoe package. It has 133,000 miles on it.

I bought it last week and it needed a starter so I put one in and now the transmission is giving me huge problems

When I go to take off it pulls like normal at first then seems to lose pull even though the rpms are increasing, then when I hit 3-4th gear around 40mph it does it REALLY bad to where the engine feels like its completely in neutral...then it catches after about 5 secs.

Also when I am going down the road it will shoot transmission fluid out the hole in the bottom of the bellhousing and it gets on the exhaust and smokes like crazy.

Can you guys help me take a guess at what is wrong here and what the best route for fix is?

My father thinks the front seal is out so I dumped trans sealer in it and that did nothing.

Old 10-10-2010 | 08:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You won't seal up a pushed out front seal with something like that.

You need to remove the transmission to be able to determine exactly what has happened. If the seal has just pushed out, then you may just need a new seal. But if the main pump bushing has pushed out, the pump will need to be removed.

Old 10-10-2010 | 10:12 PM
|

so you're saying it's either a seal or a pump period with those symptoms? any way to find out besides dropping the transmission?

Old 10-11-2010 | 09:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a large leak coming from the bell housing area, the only real wearable seal is the lip seal on the pump. The transmission needs to be removed to diagnose.

Old 10-11-2010 | 02:44 PM
|

ok thanks. and I dont know if I can classify it as a huge leak or not. it seems to vary. like the other day I used seafoam in the blazer and while it was running and it park I was revving it as part of the seafoam process and after I was done I noticed a gigantic puddle under the bellhousing. After I dumped more fluid in it and drove it around the drip seemed to subside some. I really dont know what is going on