Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Transmission Slips in Reverse & Engine Overheat

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:20 AM
Beginning Member
karmtec is on a distinguished road
Default Transmission Slips in Reverse & Engine Overheat

Hi guys,

I just picked up an automatic 4x4 1999 Blazer for $450 which I knew didn't have reverse planning to have it ready for the next Canadian winter. On the 100km (60 mile) drive home, the engine temperature was getting extremely hot and after pulling over to cool down, there was a strong smell of burning plastic from under the hood which i traced to the tranny fluid. I dropped the pan and there was no metal shavings and the fluid was reddish brown with a strong burnt smell.

Does the troubled transmission sound related to overheating? Maybe I lost a gear and was driving in 3rd on the highway?

When checking if I have lost 2nd, should putting the automatic gear shifter into "2" do nothing?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Things are handled slightly different when the transmission gear shift is placed in the OD position as opposed to the manual 1,2,or D(if available) positions so you could have 2nd gear manually, but not automatically. Complicated I know, but I don't think that is your problem.

If it doesn't have reverse, you could have also lost the reaction sunshell which is used in reverse, 2nd, & 4th. The truck would still move in 1st gear and then jump to 3rd gear.

As far as the overheating condition, that may very well be another issue altogether.

Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 AM
Beginning Member

Reverse it kind of partially there. No wierd sounds but takes more gas to move. Anything else I should check before I give up and replace the tranny?

Last edited by karmtec; 08-15-2011 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Corrected spelling
Old 08-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If everything is sluggish, you could have a bad torque converter. I wouldn't replace anything until you have gotten it looked at by a competent transmission shop.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:01 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the quick replies

I was hoping to do some of the diagnosis myself before taking it in.

Could the common sunshell issue cause reverse to half *** work or would it be gone completely.